the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Class D Subwoofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Class T amplifiers run at higher switching frequencies and higher efficiencies than a typical class D.  To be a class T it must use one of the patented Tripath chips.  Class T is typically cleaner and sounds more like a standard class A/B amplifier but has high efficiency like about 90%.  Another variation is called the Ice Power system developed by Bang and Olufsen, which runs at very high frequencies like 400KHz and at nearly 97% efficiency.
Support the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

Interesting DYohn. This is all new to me.

One of my best friends and drummer in my band works for B & O.

Perhaps he can get me some more info on this ice power. If so I will be glad to post.

Would you know if ALL amplifiers stating a class t circuitry are honest, or can there be variations or spec manipulation?

Also, as far as price points are these class t amps very expensive due to the "new" technology, and thier high efficiency w/ greater output? Basically I am interested to know if these are going to be strictly high end or is the main advantage in the longrun just going to be more power in a smaller package?

Any info appreciated, I am a sponge..

Thanks

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Class T is not new, it's been around for at least 10 years.  They tend to be more expensive than class D.  Ice Power is the trademarked name of the B&O technology, and it is fairly new.  I believe it's been around since about 2002, but amps (and powered speakers) using it have just started appearing in the last couple years.  Several companies are licensing the technology, but since it is newer and based on proprietary integrated circuit designs it costs more.  D, T and Ice are all variations on the same basic switching amplifier technology, but T and Ice differ significantly from typical Class D in the ways they handle the signal path and the ways they control the oscillator.  T and Ice have significantly less distortion and wider frequency response capability than D, in general, with Ice offereing the best performance.
Support the12volt.com
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
that's interesting
Shaking The Neighborhood
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks again DYohn, man am I glad you're around,

I have been in the 12v industry longer then 10 years yet until only recently hearing of a class T. And this is after I actually researched and wrote about the amplifier classes. (in 2002 but the research began a little earlier). Am I right in thinking that the class T was primarily used in home audio and the technology has recently been introduced to car audio, perhaps that is why I never heard of it?

Although at the end of my article I do mention :

"Class D, also called switch mode or digital amplifiers, is the most efficient method (up to 90%) and is the least linear, unless it employs sophisticated corrective signal processing. It is predominantly used in less critical applications where fidelity is not as much of an issue but power output is, such as with dedicated subwoofer amplifiers or “mono blocks”. However, there is a new breed of digital amplifiers that use Class D (or variations thereof) for high-end applications."

With that said does a class T seem to be what the latter part of the quote is explaining? A variation of a class D, with the T having more to do with the trademark of the chips inventor, or is this class T recognized as a distinctive other class to  engineers and experts in the field of home audio? (other than marketers and salespeople)

In a nut shell I only ask this for a simple reason. Apparently class "T" is working it's way into car audio. If I end up down the road becoming a dealer of class T amplifiers, or amplifiers that state they are class T, do you believe I can use this as a selling point honestly on ANY amp that states it is a class T, or would it be more honest to say it is a class D with class T or "tripath" technology?

Thanks again for your time but I usually understand your explainations, rather then googling links all day and getting over 2,000,000 different answers.....lol

DYohn 
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Panasonic first used Class T amplification in its head units in the 2004 model year, IIRC, so it's been around a while in car audio.  Even though all switching amplifiers operate using the same basic technology, Class T is not simply the same as a "better controlled" Class D as there are several other differences including use of regulated power supplies, etc.  Also, the notion that Class D is not "good enough" to operate full range is no longer true.  Several full-range Class D solutions are available and they sound darn good.
Support the12volt.com
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you again DYohn,

Duly noted, I will update the article if used in the future. I originally wrote it in 02, so this was before that Panasonic exsited.  I was never a Panasonic dealer but have had some experience with thier head units. Personally, I am impressed with them.

I am constantly bombarded with new technology, it seems impossible for anyone to keep up. This forum is proving quite invaluable to me in that respect as well.

I was aware that full range Class D's are available, but I state they are "predominantly used in less critical applications where fidelity is not as much of an issue but power output is, such as with dedicated subwoofer amplifiers or “mono blocks” because in my industry (12v automotive) I see them used for mono subwoofer applications on a daily basis, and Class AB for everything else. I did not intend to imply that was thier sole purpose.

I appreciate your help.

DYohn 
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

master5 wrote:
I am constantly bombarded with new technology, it seems impossible for anyone to keep up. This forum is proving quite invaluable to me in that respect as well.

I understand.  I've been working in and around audio, video and film since 1973.  I find keeping up with the changes to be one of the few things that keeps me interested in car audio!  :)

Support the12volt.com
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Will do nouse, I am still new here and usually don't know what to do until someone tells me.

I think I was the one to bring up amplifier classing. Only because it was stated and most likely the case that the class D subwoofer you read about was a marketing ploy.

This is done with as well on occasion with amplifiers and a host of other electronic components.  Just wanted to clear up some confusion before it began.

Glad I did because I learned something new from it myself so I figure the more we debate, discuss and share info, the more we learn.

Ok, going to delete those old PM's

TTYL

hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
THIS is what came to mind when i read this post.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic