icon

Alpine spx's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
i need to add some new speakers and im not sure what way i should go....i like my tweets bright but not 2 2 bright, more like loud and smooth, and i also need them to handle some power...i am looking for a set that will give off a nice clean unnoticable loud sound, the important part is no distorting...i am thinking of using my old art a300 ppi amp or something beter,  i havent yet decided but for now its going to be the ppi...i am thinking of a pair of alpine spx's 6.5's i have heard them in the pass and they seem good, buuuuut i also hear wonderfull things about focals, cdt's, and quarts so what do you guys think may work in my case? im looking to spend around $200-300 for these, powering them with 150 watts and they are going in a 03 camary solora...i am going to put them in kicks.   thanks guys :)
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
Youve thrown out some good brands. Alpine, MB Quart, Focal...All great SQ components. I've done installs with all of those brands and the ones that seem to shine over all are the Focals. They have clean reponsive bass and the highs arent too overpowering. Anything you choose will work great, but in my opinion the Focals sound the best...
These are the Focals I had...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

how did you like them, how did you power them?

cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I had em running on a 200w Planet Audio 2-channel so I was giving em around 100wrms each. I had em mounted in some fiberglass kicks and they sounded phenomenal. Crisp, responsive, and they take a volume beating quite well...You wont be disapointed
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
yea i heard quiet a few good things about focals, it seems as if you cant go wrong with them, hopefully when i sell some old stuff ill get enough money for something good :)
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
Boston Acoustic pro's or z's are where its at
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
if your looking for something with a bright tweeter the focals are the way to go as stated above. The problem i have with quartz is thier tweeter is like retarted harsh! And remember if you get the Focals to try out the different tweeter settings, i had to play with my K2Ps a little bit but i found what works in my truck after a few different changes. And as far as the Bostons go, they are great speakers but dont have as bright/harsh tweeter thier tweeter is much smoother and they dont have the bass response that the focals have.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
yea i had a pair of boston pro's before and they were really nice, but i want to try something differnt this time, i thought about quarts but the tweets are really harch so im leaning more towards the focals, the trick is fininding them at a great price :)
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

focals are my best friend. Ive run nothing but focals and love them to death. So far, ive heard the access, polyglass, polykevlar, and utopia BE series. I am currently running the polyglass 3 way components. the tweeters can be a bit harsh on axis. I have found it best to put the tweets in the A-pillars and aim them at the opposite side of the windshield. Running the tweets out of phase in that setup helps too.

If you do decide to purchase the focals, make sure you do it from an authorized focal dealer. heres a hint... there are NO authorized online retailers. the link provided earlier in this thread is an excellent example of an unauthorized online retailer. here is a link explained why you need to purchase from an authroized retailer.

http://www.focal-america.com/Images/notice.jpg

snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
thnx killa....im starting to lean more towards a pair of cdt's i found somewhere....im not a big fan of "authroized" dealers...i am a cheap person where if i can find the same thing for 1/2 the cost im going to get it from the cheaper place...why pay $600 for something i know was sold to the middle man for $300 and i can get for $350? im just going to have to cross my fingers and hope i get a good product, if not theres always ebay i can sell and get my money back :)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic