icon

low beam on with hi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
triplejackinga 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

You can get this 'kit' for $20 from Stylin Concepts.

TripleJack
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.. that's one way of doing it.. it's not my way, but it's one way.

They seem to be running the low beams from the high beam circuit when the high beams are on.. the 'kit' is a box with two wires on it.. one wire goes to the high beam wire, one wire goes to the low beam wire. Looks like a diode to me.. I'd be surprised if it was more complex then that.

They do include the scotch blocks to make the connections though.. that's gotta count for something.

No mention of the voltage drop involved with the diodes (assuming they're using them), no mention of what to do if it throws a code, and no mention of what adding the low beam current draw to the high beam circuit is going to do to the fuses/wiring/switchgear.

Jim

silverado42000 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
dont remember if i said it before but thats what i was talking about, but i was wanting to do it a different way, right from the fuse box, put a relay on the low beams so when the highs are on they turn on the lows again, i just dont know how to do it, since its controlled threw the ground on the switch, i figured out this much, truck off, lights see 0v, with the truck on both highs and lows see 12v, then the ground is controlled threw the light switch.
low beam on with hi - Page 2 -- posted image.
conair 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Don't know if this might help, but on every car i can think of, whenever I use the high-beams, the moment the stalk on the steering column is moved to turn on the h/b's and before it springs back, both h/b's and l/b's are engaged at the same time. I am sure this overlap is to prevent a moment of darkness between low and high. A little reverse engineering of the circuit, or studying of the schematic should be enlightening, I would think. In any case, let us know how it goes, illegal or not, the more knowledge related to mobile electronics compiled here the better off we all are.
silverado42000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
never thought about that, but yes i do know that they both come on, i could take apart the column and find the switch and do some wire crossing or somthing, but i would rather use a schematic it would be better i think to draw it out first, found out that its much easier to work on big wiring projects when you have it laied out on paper already. if anyone knows where i can find a schematic of one, or even better one of the entire truck i would love it, but i would ask it be free as i am broke at the moment.
And as for all the people saying that it is illegal, well its illegal to have you brights on when a cars coming at you in the first place, just having the lows on with them wouldnt change that, and ive always turned my lights to low when cars are coming, i just want the highs and lows on because when your on a dark dirt road and turn on the brights, you only see far away, and when there are deer and deep ditches and potholes everywhere, its better and safer to have the up close view and to be able to see up ahead, as in my case, if a river has flooded over road and since your driving with the lows to see all the little holes and trying to keep control it doesnt just come up on you, Thank god for 4x4.
king kong 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
How to wire the lo beam to stay on when the high beam is on
1) find the feed for your hi/lo switch
2) find the feed from your hi/low switch to the low beam
3) scotch lock both feeds
result low is on at same time as high all for the cost of a scotch lock I've done this mod to all the cars I've owned without a problem.
N.B this is an old rally drivers trick
king kong 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2006 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
                   [B]before[/B]
            high/low switch
                      ______   low beam
from        + ________
main light            ______   high beam
switch              
                    [B]After[/B]

high/low switch

_________________   low beam
from        +_________
main light          __________   high beam
switch
when the hi/lo switch wired in this way the low beam stays on when the high beam is on              
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
I completely agree with the reasons why to do this.
Issue #1 is that DOT spec lights are garbage to begin with. This is made worse when the auto makers trade functionality for fashionability. The more you stray from a round headlight, the worse it gets
Issue #2 is cost to the auto maker. They use a wire size that is IMHO too small for the lamp- this will have a detrimental effect on the lighting also as the voltage will be lower. Bridging the beams together will only make this worse as the ground wire will be carrying twice the current, and therefore have twice the voltage drop. At 12.5 vdc, you headlamp output is only 92% of the lamps spec, at 12.2vdc that will drop down to 85%
Fixes
Issue #1 cannot be fixed legally for cheap. The only way to do it is to replace the entire assembly with something that is DOT approved. I have seen custom assemblies done using Hella 90mm low beams and high beams placed into aftermarket assemblies. Another possibility is tpo scavenge an HID assembly from a sister model if available
Issue #2 is a little easier to do, but may be complicated by the BCM and how in depth it is integrated into the system. What you would do is replace the headlamps with relays, and use some nice thick wiring for battery - relay- headlamp wiring. This will minimize the wire length and voltage loss due to length and size. My Jeep went from 12.4V across the filament to 13.1 volts- which comes out to about 35% brighter. You still are; however, subject to issue #1- you just have more light available to scatter haphazardly
What would I do? I would upgrade the wiring, and get some real auxilary lighting. OEM fog and driving lamps are worthless (form before function again). From what you have posted, I would probably get a decent set of driving lamps (not from local parts shop or WallyWorld) and aim them a little on the low side for up close usage with the high beams. Low beams can be supplemented with auxilary low beams to help out on that end. Another option would be to get a pair of Hella Vision replacement headlamps and mount/aim normally, and piggyback them off of the headlamps.
silverado42000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
well i was lookin on another forum and i found out a way, since on the 99-02 Silverados the lights are controled threw the ground so all i did was under the fuse box took the wires for the lows and ran them streight to ground, its alot better now, as for wire size mine are thick enough for what bulbs i have in them, getting 13.9 at them so i dont think it would help much to upgrade the wiring, thinking about it tho
distantimports 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

As for reading the whole thread I would just like to say that I have had really good luck with the painless wireing harnesses.  Along with I know that you can use a couple of relays but I have just done this at the lights not at the fuse box.  It much easier at the light bulbs because you will not have to run extra wires into the cab of your truck.  I own a 1990 GMC and i love my conversion.  I also purchased the H4 conversion with some aftermarket projectors and I really have no problem at night. 

I am not familiar with all state laws but I do know that in Washington state the law stated above about only having 4 foward facing lights is true. But how ever I have just talked to my eye doctor and had him write me a perscription for have another set of lights because I have a hard time at night seeing and in the area that I live in there is a ton of Animals and wildlife all the time in the road and i am tired of repacing fenders and hoods etc.

This is the link to Painless wireing but check them out cause they show some detailed pics of there harness and you might get some ideas.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/2007Catalog/catview.php?SearchField=20

Mitch
Distant Imports
Owner
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic