icon

Current Draw of Alarm issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snopczynski 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

I just put a Pyle pwd202 alarm in my 1995 Honda Civic 4 door. The battery started going dead after sitting 3-5 days in the driveway. I checked the current draw of the car and I have 75-81 milliamps of draw with the alarm armed and unarmed after sitting for almost an hour. When I pull the alarm fuse, current draw from the battery drops from 81 milliamps to about 8-10 milliamps. Is this a bad brain causing this draw? I also disconnected the shock sensor and that made no difference. I know in the cars at work we dont like to see over a 30 milliamp draw with the alarm set after 20 minutes.

Car is wired for 12v, keyed 12v, gnd, door input from trigger wire that senses all 4 doors (gnd signal), shock sensor, siren, ignition cut out, valet switch, led, and door unlock/lock with installed actuator.

Any help is appreciated.

captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
unplug the alarm and see if it is the alarm causing the battery to die or not. Wait 3-5 days and see if your battery dies.
My guess is that it will die even with alarm unplugged because there is something wrong with the car.
But then again, i could be wrong and its the alarm (but dont see how according to your info)
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
I ran into the same problem a couple of times,and each time it turned out to be back feed through a relay,If you are using any relays make sure thet are diode isolated!
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
How do you have your starter kill relay wired? Be sure it's getting it's power from ignition and not battery.....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
snopczynski 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

the problem is the alarm brain or something wired to it, thats why the draw drops with the alarm powered down via pulling the fuse.

There aren't any relays wired to the system.

The starter kill is wired through the brain on a relay that is inside the brain.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
The draw of 81mA is more than you usually want, but your battery should have enough reserve to last beyond 5 days, assuming it's in decent condition.
Were you measuring the draw by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery, or from the alarm wiring?
If you measured the actual draw through the battery cable, and it's 81mA, then you might have to check the battery itself-
snopczynski 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Draw test was via battery cable. The battery was low because the alarm ran it dead.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Unless it triggered while you were away or there's some other draw on it, it shouldn't have killed the battery over 5 days at 81mA-   Still, I wouldn't expect that high a draw from a alarm, unless it's got active sensors or driving bright status LEDs. Unless you can get another to try it could be defective or just the way it was designed.
Does the current draw drop much if you try disconnecting the status LED?
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
The draw you are measuring is too high. It will kill a battery in a matter of days. This is especially so if the battery has been discharged a few times already. Put a battery charger on the battery and give it a good charge. Cut the battery wire going into your alarm right at the alarm. Place your meter inline and set it for DC amps to measure the draw. It shouldn't draw more than about 10 mA. Cut/disconnect wires and circuits going into the alarm till you see that the current drops. If it doesn't, replace the alarm brain.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic