icon

Myth Busted! Underpowering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

For giggles I wanted to see if it was possible or even plausable to blow a sub using a "small" amp. (or as I would have "mis"stated in the past...underpowering it).

I was convinced by some very well informed and knowlegeble people on this forum that it was not possible to blow a sub by "underpowering" it. I was stubborn at first to understand this as it was something I was told would happen often throughout my years in the industry, even though it really didn't make any sense.

Regardless of believing this shouldn't be possible, I decided to attempt to destroy a sub using an amp with a 10x less power rating then the subs power rating, crank it up, and see what happens.

First, here's the specs on the components used for the "experiment".

AMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS:                                                                                   Max Power output: 30W + 30W, RMS Power output: 15W + 15W (4ohm, 30Hz-20kHz, less than 1% THD)                                                                                                    Frequency Response (-3dB) 10Hz - 45 kHz                                                             Damping factor (100 Hz) “More than 100”

SUBWOOFER SPECIFICATIONS                                                         HighEndurance  Multi-Layer Voice Coil                                                                       Deep Bumped Back Plate for Extreme Excursion                                                         Max. Power Handling: 300W, RMS Power Handling:150W                                    Sensitivity (In Car): 90 dB SPL.                                                                                Usable Freq. Response (In Car): ±5dB 45Hz-1500Hz                                               Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms

Terminal Connector: Screw (gold plated, quality)                                                        Kapton Voice Coil                                                                                                   Rubber Surround            

(I measured an Re of 3.8 ohms)

For the headunit I used an older JVC KDS580, preouts, with a 20a power supply.

For the amp I used a 150a power supply. This amp is really small, about the physical size of 2 cigarette packs. I only used 1 channel of it @ 4 ohm to the sub so the output should be 15watts rms, 30 watts max. I used a "y" adaptor to both RCA's to form a mono input or "mixed stereo" if you wish.

The sub was installed into an "optimized" vented 8'' enclosure.

What I did first was break out the old "My Disc", The Sheffield/Autosound 2000 test disc (yes I know it's ancient).

I set the volume on the deck to 50 (maxed out), loudness on, Bass and treble full up, and turned the gain all the way up on the amp.

For hours on end I ran sweeps (low and high distortion), square waves,bursts, correlated pink noise (20 to 20), warbles, individual 5 second frequencys from 10hz to 99hz and various dynamic music.

Not only did the sub handle it fine, it sounded pretty good on certain tracks...actually shaking things in the "lab" as it hit resonances. The sub was moving quite a bit at times, but nothing too excessive. I heard no bottoming out and smelled no voice coil. The amp however was getting warm/hot to the touch.

Once I got tired of all the "noise" I figured I would just let it play heavy bass music for the rest of the day or until something gave.

Something did. The amp basically took a dump. (please no "I told you so's", this is what I predicted and expected before I started the experiment, my hypothesis based on info I received from this forum)

The amp still operated but only at 3/4 to full volume...once you turned the volume down to a "comfortable" listening level, you could hear it breaking up pretty bad, at lower volume levels no audible info at all would come out of the amp. So I tossed it in the garbage.

Anyhow, aside from the physics and common sense standpoint, it appears conclusive to me that the amp did not have enough power to damage the sub no matter how hard I tried, in any way shape or form. The amp gave up way before this sub ever would have. The sub is still in perfect shape and always remained cool as a cucumber throughout the test, so to speak.

After that I Bridged the sub to the deck power (don't think that's a good idea, but I did it) and ran it the rest of the day along with 2- 6.5's at moderate levels. The deck, speakers and sub are all still fine, it actually sounded pretty good but I am about 100% sure if I cranked it up for any length of time, the decks outputs would have became toast.

Keep in mind this was not the most "scientific" of tests and I haven't verified personally if this also holds true for other types of transducers. But I believe it confirmed that what I have been told about using a low powered amp on a sub in the past is untrue. I was going to take other measurments and scope it but I saw no point. The sub was not doing anything acoustically or physically unusual or unexpected. (occasional audible distortion not too pleasing to the ear was about the worst scenerio)

What I also can conclude from this is when I witnessed first hand in the past subs being damaged by amplifiers I believed were too "underpowered", the opposite would seem logical. Those amps were too powerful, and probably rated unreliably.

So, this myth is busted. I also have an 8'' sub for sale...barely used. Any takers?

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
Glad to see you did that. I did something similar not too long ago at a shop to prove it to the sales guys. I used a W7 and our smallest Alpine amp. The full story is in my "too little power" sticky above.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

Steven, I want to read the story but I can't seem to find it. I have not become familiar yet on how to fully navigate my way around here.

I entered "too little power" on topics and 682 came up. Perhaps you can guide me to a shortcut?

Thanks

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
hmmmm, I wonder how it is that I have done it on 5 different occasions in the past then
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

Don't ask me killer. I argued this topic until everyone was about to reach through the screen and strangle me.

Most every reply made sense but the "kicker" was a link to a discussion on this topic. Some of the "posters" were people I know for a fact are tops in the field.

So as if that wasn't enough, I did that experiment, although I mention it was not very scientific.

These "5 different occasions" in the past...can you be more specific on the circumstances and honest component specs, as well as the "condition" of the components?

Thanks.

mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
possibly the amp was rated correctly, but the sub itself was overrated which could in logic cause the amp to over power the sub and blow as master5 said. Just a thought, as I don't know the components used in your instences.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

In my case the amp never "overpowered" the sub.  I was simply over working the amp  (beat the tar out of it for hours) until it gave up. Most probably heat related.

I am still interested in the specs on killer sonatas equipment to find out how subs could have blown from doing this 5 times.

If anyone's curious the amp I used was a Kenwood KDC-322 (discontinued) and the sub was a DHD 6080 SVC 4ohm.  The amazing thing was that at certain frequencies, it was impressivly loud.

who woulda thunk?

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:

Steven, I want to read the story but I can't seem to find it. I have not become familiar yet on how to fully navigate my way around here.

I entered "too little power" on topics and 682 came up. Perhaps you can guide me to a shortcut?

Thanks

It's one of the "thumbtacked" (or stickied) topics that show up on the top of the thread list in this forum. Here's a link to make it easier though: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74226&PN=1
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  

for 3 of the 5 occasions (kept having to warantee the subs) it was a single type S 12" sub (could handle 300RMS) powered by a jbl bp300.1 running at 4ohms. in these cases, the sub was underpowered by 150rms. I went through 3 different subs. They were in a sealed box built to alpine specs.  the other 2 involved a JL 6W0 SVC 4 ohm powered off a MTX 202 at 4ohms. in these cases, the sub could handle 75RMS but were only receiving 35RMS. in all 5 instances, the gains were not maxed out but set to the best of the installers ability without test equipment (by ear). There might be some hidden variables that I dont know about but the common factor in all 5, is that all the speakers were underpowered.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
"the best of the installers abilities" does not mean that it was set properly. My guess is that your head unit has high voltage outputs, right? Well the JBL BP series amplifiers weren't designed for those types of outputs and would start to clip as soon as you turned up the gain any. They were also notoriously under-rated.
And even if the gains were set properly, that still doesn't mean the signal never went into clipping. All setting the gains mean is that the amplifier and head unit would clip at the same time, maximizing your available power. But if you turned the bass up beyond this point you could easily have toasted the subs.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic