icon

2 DVCs vs 4 SVCs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

It seems everyone is into dual voice coil speakers these days. I currently have 2 rockford punch 10" p2 10 s4 single voice coil 200 W rms each. I initially intended to sell these and get 2 dual coil versions of this same sub. I have 3 questions

1. would i get a better performance from adding 2 more of the p2 10 s4 RF punch ( having 4 rockford 10" single voice coil 200 W each) compared to having 2 10" rockfords dual voice coil p2 20 d4

2. what are the advantages and disadvantages of 10" subs as compared to 12" subs

3. how do square subs compare to round subs (eg. 12" square sub and 12" round sub)

Please give explanations along with opinions i like to rationalize and logicalize judgements. Thanks

Prodigal Son
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
1. The difference would be more bass...4 woofers have more cone surface than 2 woofers...having either single or dual coils makes zero difference besides the flexibility in wiring.
2. Advantage of a 10in sub over a 12in sub...takes up less space normally. Disadvantage...12in woofer has more cone surface area so will be louder (this is with the same model woofers though)
3. How do square subs compare?? Well...a 12in woofer is a 12in woofer...a square 12in woofer will have a little more surface area than a round 12in woofer.
Also a round cone woofer can have higher excursion capabilities than a square woofer...why??? a round cone will have even pressure all over the cone while a square woofer will flex more due to the lack of point symmetry and uneven pressures on the cone...well this last part is what I read from an artical...lost the artical though...but theres a little comparison
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
What about "octagonal" subs? 2 DVCs vs 4 SVCs -- posted image.
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
well i'm waiting for a class d mono amp to upgrade my system a hifonics 1605d and i fear that it will fry my rockford p2 10 s4 rated 200 W rms so i was thinking of selling them and getting the kicker L5 square woofer but while i was using winisd i noticed there wasn't much (if any) in the response of the speaker performance. So i thought instead i would simply get another pair of rockford to run 4 svc subs. however the wiring would give 1 ohm at 800 W and the amp gives 1600 W rms at 1 ohm but if i set the gain right and control the volume i should keep from frying the subs. plus the output i should get from 4 vented i shouldn't need much volume to get very very loud bass don't you agree?
Prodigal Son
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

Nouse...I don't think they call them "explodes" for nothing..lol

However, they don't sound that bad for the average consumer if set up right, at least in my experience. I think thier quality is underated.

And correct about that much power on the P2's..a decent sub yes, but I would lean towards the conservative side with the amount of power you run on those.

aznboi3644 
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Xtant makes some hexagon subs lol
http://www.xtant.com/html/products/X2Subwoofers.cfm
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

Nice subs azn,

You wouldn't happen to have a "hex" shaped holesaw I could borrow? lol

aznboi3644 
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Ahh yes yes...still working on the patent for that one lol
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
maybe like a large cookie cutter you hit with a railroad spike driver or one of those big mallots you use at the carnival to ring the bell?2 DVCs vs 4 SVCs -- posted image.
aznboi3644 
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
yes...I've almost perfected the "cutter's" blade design to cut through 3/4 inch MDF with only 10,000 pounds of pressure per square inch...close.
Can't wait to get the patent for this...I'm gonna be rich ah haha!!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic