icon

Flickering HID’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
idungknoe 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

ok, i have read some of the posts on the hid's it is similar to one of the other problems except some of the information doesnt seem to add up to me.  so i need some help.

i drive a BMW 06 with no HID, i know dumb me, but anyways  the problem is that i bought HID's and it came with ballasts, bulbs, and relay wires with fuses.  now when i plugged the HID's in, It works perfectly fine for 10-15 minutes.  Then it starts flickering.  but when i drive on the freeway, it doesnt flicker.  when the car is locally driving in the city or when the car is idled, it flickers.  and inside the car, the cluster shows that the low beams are not on. or blown.  is there a way i can stop it from flickering when the car is idled, and is there a way to get it off the cluster dash?  please reply asap. 

-=iDuNGKNoe=-
idungknoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
and oh yea forgot to mention the relay makes clicking sounds the then lights flicker.
-=iDuNGKNoe=-
idungknoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Do you think its because the DRL is on?  how do you know if drl is on or not?
-=iDuNGKNoe=-
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Did you wire these things, "plug and play" or did you get 12v from the battery (for the relay) These types of aftermarket lights are sensative to voltage spikes and drops. Don't use the factory 12volt supply at the light harness. AND...if the HID's are comuing on as your DTR lights.....not good.

idungknoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
It is plug an play.  the ground goes to the frame of the car, the red goes to the battery thing that is in the front, the real battery is in the back, and i was wondering if there was a way i could turn off the DRL lights, and how do you know if they are on?
-=iDuNGKNoe=-
r&b customs 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2006 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
Most True HID kits have there own power source and can't run off of just 12 volts, however its an easy fix. All you need to do is call the company you purchased from and ask for a regulator, DRL lights are not affecting the system.
rabenoja 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
You can use a heavy duty resistor to turn off the light in the dash.  They are pretty expensive but, they do the job!  Let me know if you need them.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
check your power and ground connections.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
treedog 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Where can I get a resistor like this and how do I wire it?

Thanks!!

rabenoja wrote:
You can use a heavy duty resistor to turn off the light in the dash.  They are pretty expensive but, they do the job!  Let me know if you need them.

rabenoja 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know where else to get them but from my distributor.  He has them a few of these in stock and sells them to me when I buy HID's from him.

They are pretty easy to wire in, you have to put the resistor across the factory headlight wires.  It acts like the light bulb inline...the only drawback to the resistors is that they get VERY hot!  You have to mount it to some metal and not close to anything plastic that it could possibly melt.

Again, let me know if you need them and I can send some out.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic