icon

To keep factory HU or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Slammed_Am 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading my 99 Jeep Chereokee's system. It's equipped with the factory CD w/ Cassette HU tht also has Bass, Mid, and treble controls, along with 12 presets.

I'd like to replace the factory speakers and use my old Kenwood 4chl. amp to power them, and also add 2-12" subs and an amp for them.  How much of a gain would just swapping the  Headunit out  be compared  to using line level converters?   I know it would probably be alot easer install wise, to use an aftermarket headunit,but I'd hate to let a half decent factory unit go to waste. 

or is there anyone who actually "beefs up" factory headnits and possibly add pre amp outputs to them?

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2003 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Swap it all out if you have it. Just hold on to your factory stuff so that way if you sell the truck in the future then you will have something to reinstall so that way you will not lose out on your aftermarket equipment. Yeah putting in a converter is not hard.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
rbfalcons34 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
if you are going to put subs in. Swap everything. Dont just replace one thing your gonna have to run the new head unit in order to have seperat sub levels. I havent seen one person with a factory head unit with subs. so the smart thing would be to swap everything if u plan on upgrading everything.
Hey you guys im a stereo person. I like them and i know alot about them but still need some learning. I am surround around top line stuff from my brother. Peace
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
The sound is only going to be as good as the weakest link.. such as a factory head..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

I'd never downgrade to an aftermarket radio in one of my cars.  Sure, an aftermarket radio makes the installer's job a little simpler------- but you're stuck with a small radio, with tiny, confusing buttons----every one I've ever seen has obviously been designed by idiots who have never operated them while driving.

If you find an installer who has access to good line-out converters, and has experience interfacing with factory radios, I think you'll be far better off going that route.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic