dual bright leds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  

That does make sense haemphyst,

However, for some reason 95poopscort wanted to use one set for tail/brake/turn because he is making them himself and everyone else uses two.

I did as best I could to help him even thought I confused millicandellas with microfarads. (doh!)

Perhaps I am not the best person to give advice on this topic. But I do believe the 2nd diagram I posted should work. I would hope that the proper resistance is used to keep it legal. Anything "painfully" bright most likely does not fall into the legal catagory.

I think it wise to make sure the brightness of your tail/brake/turn lights do not pose a safety hazard or legal violation before taking it on the public roads.

95poopscort 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
yeah im not using the factory lights. i made some. and i want to make led boards. im probably goin to use 2 sets of lights. seems to be a lot easier. what brightness would you recomend. i was thinking 10k for stop turn and 6k for running lights. they will be red leds behind a clear lens. lexus style.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
As I said, there are LED replacements for pretty much EVERY lamp available. (Yes, even dual element - with, imagine this, all proper resitors built-in!) I appreciate the fact that this is something you'd "like to do yourself", but that doesn't save you from a ticket from improper lighting of your car, or keep other people safe from a "shade tree mechanic" unfamiliar with proper lighting techniques.
PLEASE, before you go further, for your insurance (which, really, is the least of my worries, honestly), your safety, and the safety of others on the road, reconsider the proper method of lighting your car with LED's.
A single LED will not be adequate. Have you ever seen even ONE car with a single LED doing the job? No. They are arrays, and this is why I am recommending you look into replacing your OEM lamps with appropriate LED replacement lamps.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to have to agree with haemphyst here, simply on the fact that you don't know anything about LEDs.  I'm all about trying to do something yourself, and as long as it is close I'm sure you won't have to worry about getting an unsafe vehicle ticket.  However, if you don't set up the LEDs correctly (proper current) you will end up burning up LEDs pretty quickly.  Also, changing from a bulb to an LED will eliminate your 'quick turn when a light is burnt out' feature.  At least commercially availible units will have gone through extensive testing and quality assurance, so you can have faith that they will hold up. 

Furthermore, automobiles provide a VERY harsh environment for electronics.  Vibration, temperature changes, moisture, dirt and about the worst electrical environment imagineable are some of the things you need to consider when designing electronics for cars.  One example would be in the power supply that runs the LEDs, as you won't be able to drive them directly off of the battery because the battery voltage fluctuates too much while driving.  You would most likely want to go with a 5vdc regulated system to insure that the lights are the same brightness every time.  Now, if you have already thought of this, then good thinking, however if you never considered that as being a possible problem then you really shouldn't be doing this!

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

I too agree with the above posts after consideration. I admire the DIY gusto but if not just for the reasons stated above alone,I feel using an aftermarket replacment is the way to go.

Now the diagram I posted only shows one LED but that was done for simplicity in the drawing, I was under the assumption that he wished to build an array. Regardless,with asking what resistor values to use for brightness, there are too many factors to consider to post a reliable suggestion.

95poopscort 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the kick in the nuts. i imagine you all started from where i am asking questions. did people tell you dont mess with it? dont try it. well screw you all. im goin to do it and prove yall wrong.
KPierson 
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think it's a kick in the nuts, it's solid advice.  We all appreciate your DIY attitude, but I don't think you are realize the liability involved.

In fact, if you install your brake lights you make, and they fail and someone hits you, you could be held personally liable.

Plus, beyond the words of caution, your questions were answered.

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

Please don't take any of our suggestions that way. It was only out of concern for the safety of you and others as well as legal issues.

As a matter of fact I think you should try to build them but do so as a "science project" keeping it small and the costs down. Test different value resistors, brightness levels, if it can stand up to harsh environments, moisture, vibration etc.

Just try to avoid the temptation of using it on pubic roads. Maybe you can make a set for your car and swap em out at shows and meets etc and then put the legal ones back in for the trip. Then you can really go nuts and make them flash patterns, change colors or anything your imagination can come up with.  And if it's too bright at a car show that is a good thing. On public roads however it really can be a problem.

Best of luck.

95poopscort 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
sorry i guess i shoulda stated they are for show purposes. but the car will be driven at the show.  so would 10 k be too much? maybe run 8s and 4s?  i figured 2.2-2.6 per led. if i wire 6 in a series w/ a 15 ohm resistor then parralel 3 sets together i would be good. since our cars spend more time at 13-14 volts.
KPierson 
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Again, you shouldn't base it off of the battery voltage, especially if you are trying to drive the LEDs at their maximum potential.  One voltage spike and you'll fry most of the LEDs (voltage will rise, which in turn will raise current, which will burn the LED up quickly).  You really need a regulated power source to drive them.
Kevin Pierson
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic