Looking for component speaker suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rabreedlove 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, everyone!
I'm looking to upgrade the speakers to my system and am looking for some recommendations.
I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab truck. I have a Rockford Fosgate P450.4 amp powering Alpine SPS-69C3 in the front and SPS-17C2 in the rear with the (crappy) factory dash tweeters still installed. I also have a P200.2 amp powering a 10" RF P210S4 subwoofer.
I'd like some good components for the front and better full-range for the rear. I mostly listen to guitar-driven rock and my general complaint about the existing speakers is lack of highs and "muddy" mid-range.
There's limited space in the factory front 6x9 cavity, so the components will likely have to be 6.5". Also, I'm looking to install the new tweeters in the factory dash location (I know -- not ideal, but I don't want to start modding the interior).
Looking to spend $200(ish) on the comps and about half that for the rears.  I'm leaning towards Polk db6500 fronts and db650 rears, but I would really like to get some input from people who know more than I do.
Any and all suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Leave out the rears for now and use what you have in the rear. Channel the saved $ into a better set of front speakers. Save up again for the rears later on. Eclipse makes a great set of 6.5" component speakers.

www.eclipse-web.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Forbidden is right that holding off on the rears is a good idea and spend more on the front speakers.... polk does make decent components but I would look for something better.. Eclipse is a good choice but I prefer Focal.... but really you should go to a local shop and listen to all the different speakers they have and you make the final call

rabreedlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

Wow.  What great responses.  I certainly appreciate it.

Can you direct me to where I can purchase either of these brands?  I'm more familiar with the larger companies (like Infinity, JL, Alpine, etc.).

fox55 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
I own a 2003 ford focus se, swapped all the 5x7 speakers with rockford 5x7s, wasn't impressed, listened to about 25 different sets of component speakers and was mostly impressed by the polk db 6500's. Great choice of components for the cash.
MECP Certified
Fry's Electronics MEI - Anaheim, Ca
"Kneel Before Zod"
rabreedlove 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Great!  Thanks for the responses. 

Someone at another forum recommended CDT speakers.  I've never heard of them before, but a couple of people responded in the same thread how great they were.  Anyone here have an opinion of them?

Also, someone recommended Rockford Fosgate T162S (6.5 Power components).  Anyone familiar with these?

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
CDT's are good too - just google stuff if you can't find it locally. Focals are great but you'll need more than $300 for the good ones. Also check out Mb Quart reference or premiums. I'd avoid the Fosgates.
Whatever you do, stick with a round speaker over the ovals. And by all means you want to hear the speakers, don't just buy off suggestions.
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
$200.00???? For components? Not much you can find for that much to make it worth while to make a difference in sound. I've been down road before.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

focals ae great and the bottom of their line speaker is about $300. the access series are a huge upgrade from stock. even running off a head unit. I just swapped out my GFs 12 year old speakers with some 6.5" coax focal access speakers and she about had an orgasm. she made me quite happy that night. WHAT?!?! oh here is something else to remember for your future. women in general have better ears than us men. use them whenever you can while tuning.

moral of this post is my vote goes for focals but only buy them from authorized dealers. There arent any authorized retailers online.

mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Focals are awesome, I compared them to other brands like: MB Quarts, JL, Dimonds and Kickers. Most of the time you just have to listen to a set and compare. My Focals K2p comps. sound very crisp and precise. Just have to make sure you feed enough power to them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic