icon

Remote Start on a John Deere tractor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fortisi876 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ok maybe it sounds dumb but Im considering putting a remote starter on my JD compact tractor. Why you ask? Well, it'd be nice to be able to get on an already warmed up tractor that is ready to go when the white stuff begins to drop. Besides, for these older diesel tractors its said to run better and last longer if its been warmed up before each use.

Since its a diesel I guess Id have to buy a model thatis diesel friendly UNLESS there is some easy delay circuit I could make that would attach to the glow plugs.......then I could use an older R/S (designtech) that have sitting around collecting dust.

Thnx!

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

What year and model, and what is the procedure for starting it normally?.. Does it have a fuel cutoff to turn it off? Anything is possible, I'd be concerned with safety issues WRT bypassing safety switches.

Jim

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Mad Scientists wrote:
 What year and model, and what is the procedure for starting it normally?.. Does it have a fuel cutoff to turn it off? Anything is possible, I'd be concerned with safety issues WRT bypassing safety switches.
  Its a 1987 JD 655. As far as starting procedures, you just stick the key in, turn to on, wait till glow plugs turn off, then turn to run........fires right up. No pedals to push or gears to select (it has a hydro trans) and the throttle stick is usually left where its ok to start it so thats not an issue either.

What do ya think?

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
No choke either.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
So there is a glow plug light that goes off when its ready to start?
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
CutDog504 wrote:
So there is a glow plug light that goes off when its ready to start?
YES!
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
It shouldnt be a problem. Many remote starters can be used for deisel engines. Most deisel compatible remote starts have a wire that hooks up to that dash light. When the light goes out then it will start.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=fortisi876]

[QUOTE(it has a hydro trans) and the throttle stick is usually left where its ok to start it so thats not an issue either.

Sounds very feasable to do this.. I have good luck using DEI remote starts on deisels, they have a wait to start wire..timers and programming etc., not to say it's better then any other..just works well for me.

My only concern is with the quote. You state "usually left where it's ok to start". Well if one of those times when it isn't can the tractor start moving on it's own when it's started? If so you might want to hook up some kind of failsafe or who knows where that tractor might end up..probably not much gonna stop it..lol.

Is there any kind of neutral indicator (I don't think that trans has a neutral but asking in case)? I use those on motorcycles set up so it won't RS unless the bike is in neutral. If not maybe you can put a mechanical switch on the throttle stick so it will only RS if its left in "ok to start" position.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Should be easy to do and we will gladly help along the way. 

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

master5 wrote:
My only concern is with the quote. You state "usually left where it's ok to start". Well if one of those times when it isn't can the tractor start moving on it's own when it's started?

NO way for it to move, unless someone is stepping on the forward/backward pedal. If the throttle stick is left in a higher position it will just idle a lot faster that I would want it to at rest.

Is there any kind of neutral indicator (I don't think that trans has a neutral but asking in case)?

No neutral, kind of hard to explain other than it has a similiar type of hydro trans like in your typical riding lawn mower. Stays put until you depress the pedal.

Thnx to all who have given their advice/opinions....I will let yall know how it turns out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic