icon

Any good amp makers left out there?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ziquor 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
Wow. I got GREAT subs, Eclipse SW9122 Ti's. I been lookins for an amp. I hear these subs are underated and can handle CRAZY power, but, what do I go with? A name used to mean something. Old Soundstream used to be very good, old Hifonics used to be very good, Orion, etc. Now they all suck basically - as cheap manufactures buy them out who care more about sales volume than quality. I was looking at either the Hifonics XX Hercules OR the Soundstream PCA2000D but after hearing some stuff about these companies being bought I'm reconsidering. If I can't get a good recomendation here between these 2 amps - someone please tell me I can still trust good ole Rockford and their Power Series T20001bd amp. Hell it has a 250A fuse at least. Help I need a BIG mono amp BADLY!
Greg Ryan
2002 Spyder GT
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
i've never really put hifonics and quality in the same sentence, but i've had good luck in the past with orion and soundstream. as for rockford, the power series is ok i suppose, but an amps fuse size shouldn't be a good sign of it's quality. IMO, i'd recommend an eclipse amp to compliment those subs. those things love lots of power and a good high powered eclipse should do fine. remember though, make sure your vehicles charging system is up for the demands.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
US Amps.
'85 Toy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Audisson, Brax, Helix, McIntosh, Sinfoni, Genesis, Bryston, Zapco... Eclipse, Nakamichi, JBL, Alpine, JL Audio, Diamond, DHD... all amps I consider excellent quality.
Support the12volt.com
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
supradude wrote:
US Amps.
x2....plus Zapco
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
i had a customer in the shop the other day that said she used to work for US Amps not too long ago and she said that she left the company because they sold out to some foreign company and werent made in the US anymore....anyone know how much truth is in this statement. i have always heard that US Amps was an insane amp company that not many have heard of. but if they are foreign made now....hmmmm makes you wonder on the name of the company (US).
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
US Amps is connected to Resonant Engineering, Hollywood and Kove somehow.  I do know that US Amps are no longer hand-made in Kentucky or Florida or wherever they originated but are now being manufactured off shore like most car audio electronics.  I am not sure of the complete nature of the business relationship between US Amps and RE.
Support the12volt.com
ziquor 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Good suggestions. I know ideally you shouldn't base an amp on the fuse, however it actually could be a decent guideline. For example you could say a company could put a bigger fuse in the amp for marketing reasons, or to make the amp look more powerful, but no smart company would do that because most companies WILL replace their amps if they are faulty and if an amp has a fuse that's too large then it could easily damage the amp, causing the amp company more problems than the marketing is worth. A typical 2,000W rms amp should run about 200amps therefore having a fuse rating of about 200A. The Soundstream PCA2000D recommends a 180A fuse - which basically says it won't push the stated 2,000W RMS. The Hifonics XX Hercules recommends a 200A fuse which is a little more assuring. And better yet the Rockford Power T20001bd says to use a 250A fuse. Plus Rockford has always been known to underate their specs. Their prices are a little higher than most but I'm thinking they would be worth it.
Greg Ryan
2002 Spyder GT
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse, Zapco, Audisson, McIntosh, JL. (Not necessarily in that order...)
Bryston makes 12v stuff, DYohn?!?! Damn, and I settled for Eclipse!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
What ever happened to Kove Audio??? I know they are old school but I can't find crap on them now...only some subs on ebay but thats it...like they disappeared from the face of the earth.
My friend has Kove coax's in his Tacoma and they sound damn good...can handle some power too
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic