icon

Wiring 3 W3-d4's to a 4 channel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I know its not the best way to do it but thats what I had and this is what I did... I was not reading any resistance on one of the speakers and when I pushed in on the cone I could here things rubbing so I figure that one was done for but the box was designed for 3 subs and was not seperated like it should have been. I don't have the equipment and my best buy to make boxes so I decided to use the bad one as a dummy cone and wire the to speakers as follows. I wired the coils in series and then I ran the left sub to the front 2 channels bridged on a punch 450.4 and did the same with the right on the rear two channels. thus making them 8 ohm's bridged. I couldn't figure a way to do it to get 4 ohms and 4 was the min on bridged I think. what do you guys think?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

well it's really more about what you think..you have to live with it. does it sound good? You are not going below the amps ohm load so at least it is safe for the amp.

You could also do this. with the 2 woofers on the rear channels wire the coils in parallel. So you have 2- 2ohm subs. series those to together and now you have a 4 ohm load. Bridge that to the rear channels. The way you have it now you are sending 1/2 the power to the 2 subs as you are to the one. I think the power will match better doing it this way but once again, it's really your choice.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  

Oh wait..you mean you are only going to run 2 subs and leave the 3rd in as a dummy..or a poor mans passive radiator..lol.

Yeah, in this case your hands are tied. You will basically be running each half of the 4 channel bridged to an 8 ohm sub on each..with gives you a total 4 ohm load. This is fine as cutting your power in half might save the other 2 from self destructing like the other one did.

Good Luck

sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

there are three subs but the one is blown so I turned it into a dummy cone so there are only 2 subs but I think if I was running them in a configuration like you described it would be outputting more power but it wouldn't be as clean.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

Actually it has nothing to do with not being as "clean".  You always need to be concerned about killing your subs due to too much power. But in this case if you paralleled the coils and ran a two ohm load bridged to that amp (1 ohm)....more then concern about how clean or dirty it would sound, the issue would then become the amp going into protection until it eventually overheats and dies.

Then you would have a dummy amp to go along with the dummy sub...lol

However, if you had all 3 subs working, and wired it the way I suggested, it would be fine since you would be at 2 ohms, which the amp is rated for, and a better balence of power, at least the best you could do with what you have. Watch your gain settings because JL 'sare good subs and if like you stated that you question the enclosure you have to be even more careful as the power handling goes down if the box is too "loose" so to speak. don't want to end up with 3 dummy subs.lol

Take care.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic