icon

Q Logic Custom Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Can enyone tell me what I did wrong or what should I do about this problem? I installed a Q-Logic QL-C1FTX110 box in my 05 F-150 with Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 powered by JL 500/1. Completly sealed with polyfill and 80% Dynamat on walls. It sounds hollow for some reason. Is it the sub? box? or both. Should I rebuild the box from mdf?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

It's hard to really figure this out without listening to this hollow sound. If the amp is installed and set up properly, and the speaker is in perfect condition and wired correctly it could be the enclosure, a combination of the enclosure/sub, or the combination of enclosure/sub/and vehicles acoustic dynamics, or lack thereof. with only one sub it shouldn't be a phasing problem per say, but can't hurt to reverse the speaker wires to the sub and see if you notice an improvment.

I find Q logic products to be pretty good usually as well as infinity but I know if I was building the enclosure for that vehicle it wouldn't leave my bay until it sounded great.

Might want to try a different setup, either MDF or MDF/glass.

allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

Have you tried it without the polyfill???  I had a sub that did that (Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2).  I had it in the box fill with polyfill and it sounded hollow, however...removing the polyfill cured the problem.  If my understanding is correct, you only want to use polyfill in a case where the volume on the box is smaller than what the specs on the sub call for.  The polyfill makes the sub think it's in a bigger box  (not quite sure how that happens, but that's the explanation).

Also, what is your LPF cutoff set at?

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Did you put Dynamat on the interior walls of the enclosure???  Honestly, I would think that this would defeat some of the sound your sub could produce as now you've incorporated a sound deadening agent into the environment.  Thats like putting an automatic transsmission on a sports car, you'll get SOME of it's performance, but you're robbing it of it's full potential.  IMO
'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic