icon

cutting mdf for a wedge box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
This is driving me CRAZY... I've done so much calculus in college I think that all of my geometry skills are gone and I've hit a wall.
I am trying to build a trapezoid shaped box out of 3/4" MDF with the following external measurements:
16" high
21" deep on the bottom
11" deep on the top
31" wide
I can't figure out how to cut the wood for the angles, or how it should go together. I know that if I just cut the pieces out with those measurements, it won't work... is there an easy way to figure out how much longer or shorter I should cut each panel so that they will properly overlap and/or meet at the correct angle?
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
Well im either bein retarted or this should work..
The side piece measurements are 9.5" on the top, 19.5" on the bottom, the angled edge is 17 and 6/16", and the straight edge is 14.5"
The bottom of the box piece is 31" by 20.25"
The Top of the box is 31" by 9.5"
The Slanted front piece is 18 and 14/16" by 31"
The straight back piece is 15.25" by 31"
so, this way the side pieces will be overlapped on each of their edges, the back piece will overlap the top piece but not the bottom, and the front piece will overlap both the bottom and top pieces.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  

Here's a helpful app for cutting angles:

http://www.1728.com/pythgorn.htm

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic