Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

Suede door inserts -- posted image.

So, I just did my first set of door inserts.  Nothing too special I guess, just reupholstering the factory inserts.  However, this was kind of challenging being that the factory inserts are not removable, so I do credit myself a bit for that.

Anyway, first picture looks good right?  Well, in the second, the close up, you can see the folds that I had after coming off that concave.  I tried pulling it into an area that I knew would be cut out but I couldn't get rid of them.  On the next insert I was able to get all the slack material together and press the suede against itself to form triangle (?).  Anybody who has wrapped vinyl around a hard edge knows what I'm talking about.  Then I cut it just like you would the vinyl.  It looked ten times better.

I'm wondering though, is there a better way to do this other than sewing?

sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
If you woulda used a more stretchable microsuede you wouldn't have that problem...  Looks good though, I am sure it is a huge improvement over stock. 
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

I never heard of microsuede.  Please tell more.

Thats what the door looked like before

Thats what the headliner looks like now.  Just did it today.

sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

microsuede... stretchy as hell, jo-ann fabrics.

punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
oh really fool?  Thats funny, I was saying today how nice it would be if they made a material like suede but was stretchy.  How much per yard?
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
hey - can you glue suede down like this... i got concave contours i gota deal with and i know its impossilbe or damn close, to get suede to glue down without destroying it...
punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
I have heard  afew people say that already.  They must have heavy hands because I tested a small portion to see just how much glue I can apply and it took a fairly heavy amount to soak through.  Use a gun, painting it on might be too thick, and just keep your distance, I covered the suede on the headliner very evenly and thoroughly and I had no problems.
sprawl85 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Painting it on with the microsuede would be way too thick, spray gun from a compressor would be best followed by aerosol.  And I got mine on clearance for like 10 bucks a yard.  I think regular price was around 15.
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

I did my door panel insrets with black suede also. the back doors were easy but the fronts were a pain because of the curve in front of the window controls. it took me 2 tries to wrap the front doors, and I only had a couple small wrinkles, plus the suede I used was not very stretchy. I used contact cement sprayed from a paint sprayer and I had no bleed through. I'm going to wrap the inserts in a different color just to give the door more pop.

BTW punkbastard, nice looking xB.

punkbastard 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I tried doing the fronts doors on this car today and they gave me much more of a hassle than the rears.  Attempt number two will be tomorrow.  I found the stretchable microsuede at jo-anns as well.  Its nice because its stretchy but it doesnt have such a nice look to it because of the microfibers. 

The owner of this car actually works for me but I am doing an xb demo car for the company so he said he would let me practice on his doors and headliner.  I think for the demo car i'm gonna do black suede on the headliner and gray microsuede on the doors just to continue the BLACK/ gray look plus the car is gray.  Not to mention the contrast definitely makes it pop as outtaluck said I mean just look at the headliner above.

Hey outtaluck, what is that around the insert?  Blue pinstriping tape?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic