icon

replacing power antenna 97 altima

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Abramowitz1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

I have replaced the power antenna on a 1997 nissan altima  I used my multimeter to figure out the wires  that went good.  I connected the ground hot and remote.   turned the factory radio on and to no prevail the antenna did not go up.    when I touched the blue wire a.k.a. remote on antenna to the hot.  the antenna went up  and when I let go it went down.  no prob  so I know that the antenna works.   why wont the remote wire make the antenna go up  is there some speacial thing I need to do?   somebody please help.  b.t.w.   I tried using a relay and that didnt work.  apparently the remote wire wont even trigger a relay.   what should I do.    

thank you

the hot wire -ron
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2003 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have an aftermarket head unit? If so you may have a bad remote wire. You could use your 12 volt switched or (ignition) wire.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
Abramowitz1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

it is the original factory head unit

all that has been replaced is the antenna

the hot wire -ron
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.  I know that Toyota radios don't have a strong enough output to trigger an aftermarket power antenna, or even a relay......as you describe.  I wonder if Nissan radios are like this too?

I can think of two options for you:

1.  Wire it to raise with ignition.  But put a toggle switch somewhere, so you can lower it to go into the carwash.

2.  Buy one of those remote turn-on generator pieces, typically used when adding aftermarket amps to a radio with no remote wire.  You attach this device to the car's speaker wires, and when it senses a signal it puts out 12 volts to turn on the amp (or raise the antenna).

mmpunk646 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2003 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 91 Honda Accord and i blew a fuse for some other electronics and the fuse also controlled the power antenna also. It was under the hood so u might want to check the fuses and antenna connections.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic