icon

Running all active and wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
isisfreak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

This is my first car audio setup, so please ignore my newbness Running all active and wiring - Last Post -- posted image.

Currently I'm running a JL Audio 300/4 with a set of Polk MMC6500's (I'll be upgrading later, got a good deal. They're too bright...). I only have front speakers and I want to run them fully active, how do I do this? Is it possible with this speaker/amp combination? Right now I'm using the passive crossovers that came with the set and I'm hoping to get a little bit better tuning/sound quality.

Also, right now I'm only running a JL Audio 300/4. But, I'm planning on adding a JL Audio 500/1. Is my 4 gauge wiring enough (including for my big three)? It works out to be about 800W at 70A, but I want to be sure. Only running about 10'-12' of wire.

Thanks everyone!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
isisfreak wrote:
This is my first car audio setup, so please ignore my newbness Running all active and wiring - Last Post -- posted image.
We all started somewhere, and that's not the way this forum works... We're different! LOL
isisfreak wrote:
Currently I'm running a JL Audio 300/4 with a set of Polk MMC6500's (I'll be upgrading later, got a good deal. They're too bright...). I only have front speakers and I want to run them fully active, how do I do this? Is it possible with this speaker/amp combination? Right now I'm using the passive crossovers that came with the set and I'm hoping to get a little bit better tuning/sound quality.
I'm not a real fan of the Polk Audio stuff, either... never really have been, home stuff included. The brightness you describe is a common complaint with "stocker" passive crossovers. Active signal processing, with a LITTLE bit of EQ, can tame much of that brightness. Also what HU are you running, and are you CERTAIN you have properly adjusted your gains? Improperly adjusted gains can also add a bit of harshness to the high end, I've found. It is possible to run full active, but you do not have one piece of equipment that is absolutely necessary to do so. You need an active crossover, the one in the amp will not be adequate.
I recommend the AudioControl 24XS, or the Zapco SX-SLII. The Zapco will do FAR more than just cross-over, but it's a DAMN fine piece of gear.
isisfreak wrote:
Also, right now I'm only running a JL Audio 300/4. But, I'm planning on adding a JL Audio 500/1. Is my 4 gauge wiring enough (including for my big three)? It works out to be about 800W at 70A, but I want to be sure. Only running about 10'-12' of wire.
A 4 gauge will be plenty. Fuse it for 150A, and call it done. (You always fuse for the size of the wire, NOT the load placed on the wire - trust me, we've been over this here, MANY times...)
isisfreak wrote:
Thanks everyone!
You're welcome, and welcome to the forum!
After you procure your crossover, we can further discuss the installation and tuning!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
I suggest that you concentrate on the basics first.  One of the basest of basics is using front components whose sound pleases you.  Forget that you got a good deal on those Polks;  if they don't please you, they are of no use to you.  Don't spend more money getting into the more esoteric realm of active crossovers with these speakers when there are others that will suit you just fine.  Keep it simple.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
isisfreak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks! I'm running this with a computer, no headunit. I've been looking at getting an Alpine PXA-H701, any thoughts? Would this beable to do what I'm looking for?

stevdart wrote:
I suggest that you concentrate on the basics first.  One of the basest of basics is using front components whose sound pleases you.  Forget that you got a good deal on those Polks;  if they don't please you, they are of no use to you.  Don't spend more money getting into the more esoteric realm of active crossovers with these speakers when there are others that will suit you just fine.  Keep it simple.

When I say I got a deal, I mean that I got them for pretty much nothing at all. I figured they would do until I can pick up some focals : ) Also, I'm not planning on doing this right away, I just want to know what I have to do when the time comes. I'm planning on competing with this in the future (not expecting to win, they're just for fun). Another reason for going all active is that I have a 4 channel amp and only front speakers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic