icon

Which one is a better set-up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hapache 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

Mind you I am doing this with a stock altenator!  I do not have $600 for a HO alt.

I was told , I can get by with a bigger power supply. My   SPL  setup is (1) earthquake PHD2  aprox. 1000 rms/  (2) Kicker solobaric  12''s . This setup is in my  02' camry.

(1)kinetik khc2400

(1) yellowtop 31 series (Front)   /  (1) Kinetik khc1400 (Back)

(1) Blue top  (front) /  (1)kinetik 2000 (BacK)

I'm on a mission to be as loud as i wanna be.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
As soon as you breathe the term "SPL", get busy looking for a HO alternator.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with stevdart. Check out alternatorparts.com for some decent prices and kick ass quality. As far as the batteries go keep matching ones otherwise you will lokking at isolating blocks additional wiring and more money
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed with all above.

A "bigger power supply" or battery will never hurt. However, any correct battery for your vehicle that is in good condition will do it's job...which is starting the vehicle and to help with filtering ripple current which comes from the rectification (converting of AC to DC) after the alternator or internally depending.

Now realize once you begin to tax the charging system by coming close to or exceeding it's rated output this is when you will suffer loss of output and eventually hurt the alternator and possibly other components of the charging system.

Just think about it logically. Now the stock system has to be able to do it's normal job keeping up with the stock demands..PLUS all the extra demand the audio system added to it. Compound this problem by adding another battery (now it has to charge that too) and you can see how this will become an issue.

Make sure you take care of "the big 3" and if the demands of the charging system is exceeded by the sum of the stock current demands,additional battery and the audio system you will need to upgrade that alternator as well, especially for SPL use. You did not mention the vehicle but you might be able to find a suitible HO alternator for well under 600 dollars that will suit your needs, of course this depends. Shop around.

As well if you add a second battery read up on how to do it properly...just running cables from one battery to the other is NOT the right way. They must be isolated and there is more then 1 way to do this, again depends on the application and needs.

Good Luck.

j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
It takes power to make power.  Your SPL is limited by the weakest link.  You could spend big bucks on the amps and subs but if the alternator can't make enough current, the amps can't make the power.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Whoever told you battery instead of better alternator told you wrong, it doesn't solve the problem. Save your money for the alternator, it'll pay off much more in your system.
Besides, I would think you can find a cheaper HO alt for a Camry than $600...? Anyone?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic