Remote Start, DEI or Autostart?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeepers79 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

This is for a 2003 Chevy Tahoe.

So I had my mind made up on a Viper (DEI) 160XV 1 mile range remote start. or the 2 way version of it....

Then today....

I talk to another place who sells AUTOSTART brand. I am not a fan of buying brands I have not heard of however this place has sold DEI for 10 years, and then moved to autostart. So they must be doing something right for them to move.

They have a unit which is 2 way (AS-2600iTW-FM) claims to get 3,000 foot range for $550. The price point is about the same as the DEI one. DEI clams to get 1 mile range and the owner of the store (seller of DEI) has one in his truck, tested it at 1.2 miles and still worked (straight line of sight obviously)

I guess They are both the same $, I like the autostart remote a little better, but have never heard of them and don’t know about the range.

HE also showed me a autostart 'brain box' and I will say it had a whole lot more to it than the cheap DEI ones… felt like there was some REAL circuitry inside.

Thoughts?

2003 Chevy Tahoe
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

we sold Autostart for years and dropped the line because of QC issues.... we now sell DEI product exclusively....

but, like anything in life, you have to make your own choices my friend......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jeepers79 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

LOL

I know, i just dont know ANYTHING about autostart.  I have had good luck w/ the DEI stuff (for the most part)

I did like the remote better on the autostart..  Can you comment at all on how the range was?

TOO MANY DECISIONS!

2003 Chevy Tahoe
kgerry 
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

range was fine (although not as good as the new SST units from DEI)......

issues we had were relays sticking on... customers turning off their vehicles only to have them stay running, and they had to disconnect the battery to get it to shut off... not  good... could you imagine if the crank relay ever stuck????

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jeepers79 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I hear you.

I actually had a crank relay stick on my older VIPER unit.  25 minutes of engine cranking..  it was  NIGHTMERE!!  turns out it was the installers problem not DEI

Well maybe I stick w/ my gut and go w/ the DEI

Now if you were going to pick would you go for the 160 XLV or the 2 way version (both 1 mile range)  I guess its simply a preference of the 2 way remote, any other function I may regret if i didnt go 2 way?  That remote it a LITTLE bulkey...

2003 Chevy Tahoe
kgerry 
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

i'd call the SST 1-way remote more bulky.... plus the starrt button is so damn small you need to use your fingernail to press it

the 2-way uses the same remote as the old units only the antenna is a touch longer... i find the size fine, just dont leave it deep in a back pocket and sit on it....DOH!!

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jeepers79 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Remote Start, DEI or Autostart? - Last Post -- posted image.

Is this the remote you think is bulky?  I guess they just changed to this style from the older (gm-looking one)  Yeah that start button IS small!!!

Remote Start, DEI or Autostart? - Last Post -- posted image.

2003 Chevy Tahoe
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have used Autostart remote starters for more than 15 years. I have tried many other brands and keep coming back to Autostart. Like any brand they have defective units at times, but so does everyone else. Every dealer will tell you that their brand is better than every one elses. Go with what you like. Both DEI and Autostart are good units. The big difference is who installs the system. Bad installs cause more problems with good product more than anything else. Having a knowledgable installer that takes pride in their work is usually more important than minor differences in product.
sparky
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
I installed exclusively DEI branded stuff for 4 years then switched to audiovox for the last 2 years...I think the Audiovox is easier to install and have had NO problems at all...
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed Autostart, and I think they make great products. Now since DEI own AstroStart, go with AstroStart!
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic