Transponder????

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tong 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

Hi!

Wounder where i can read more about transponders to by pas these?? I am going to import remote starters so i have to learn abou this. If it have any easy way to bypas the transponder on every vehicle?? OR do i have to have many different moduls??  The first car i am asking about is Caddilac 1992 STS to bypas??

Thanks very much

Tong

tong
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2003 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

The only anti-theft device  92 Cadillac is going to have is a VATS which you will ba able to confirm by the resistor pellet in the ignition key.  Also there will be a security light on the dash that will turn on with the ignition key and turn off after that car has started.  If you have no light and no pellet in the key then this vehicle has no anti-theft system.   If you do have the pellet on the key, you can bypass it very easily with a resistor and a relay, or if you want you can buy a bypass module. 

GM did not introduce the transponder based anti-theft device until about 99, but dont quote me on that date.  VATS was first, then Paslock I and then Passlock II and now they have the Passkey III which is a transponder based anti-theft device which most new vehicles have.  GM still uses the Passlock II though.   Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mitsubishi, AUdi, you name it and they probably have a transponder starting roughly around 1999 (that is a rough date again)

Here is a link for a universal transponder bypass kit which requires the use of an additional ignition key that is programmed to the vehicle (The customer will have to provide this, but you would have to inform them of the process for doing so which can be expensive)

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?Productid=557

There are also bypass kits out there that are "No Key Required", but they do not have them for all makes and models. Look here:

http://www.bypasskit.com/

I will use the databus interface module found at this site, and an occasional transponder bypass kit because they make the install sooooo easy, but for the most part I use the universal bypass module for the transponder bypass because they are not very difficult, and I use a relay and a resistor for the Passlock I ans Passlock II and VATS bypass because NO bypass module for these last three can compare in cost to a .35 cent trimpot and a $1.40 relay.  Feel free to ask any questions that you have.  You can also email me if you prefer.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
irock355 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

I agree and disagree...I really HATE those generic transponder "loop" bypass kits because you have to take an ignition key from the customer...not only does this add from $60 to $100 to the price of the install (to replace the key), but the pain of having it replaced/programmed.

I agree that a cheap trimpot and relay/harness system works well for VATS, Pass I and Pass II, there is a flaw.  Since this type of bypass is required to run in series with the 3 wires from the key cylinder, there is a risk for failure should the relay give up the ghost.  This is also true of the "dip switch" bypass modules (that are very cheap)....you have to cut a wire and run in series.

I've heard stories of these failing and leaving customers stranded with their vehicle in Passlock lockout and no way to start their car.  We exclusively use a simple little module that runs "over top" of the passlock wires (only taps into them), leaving the full connection intact.  They too have a trimpot, but add an led....to program, you turn the vehicle to the RUN position and slowly turn the trimpot until the LED comes on.  Keep turning till it goes off, then centre the trimpot to be in the "middle" of the LED, and you're golden.

We've literally used hundreds of these with GREAT success....and if it ever fails, the car won't remote start, but it will still run under key.  And THATS important!

have fun!

b

wjjustice 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'll bite... what is the name of the module, and where can I buy one?
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the relay and trimpot method will still work if the relay fails since the wire is connected with no power to the relay.  Now if you pull the relay out then it will not work, but no one is going to pull the relay out.  And I will agree with you that the PLDATA is a slick bypass for the Passlock II, the cost does not justify it for me.  Of course I live in a very cheap town, where people will choose not to get a starter because an additional relay costs them $10.  Any additional costs freak people out here it is unbelievable.  I cant believe I ever moved to this place.  Sorry I went off on that tangent, but it bothers me that I do not have customers who dont mind paying a few extra bucks to get the best product for their car.  No matter what though, I will never use a bypas module on a passlock I....Ever!  And as far as the universal transponder bypass kit, they are sooo easy to install and typically a key will only cost them $15 unless they have a mitsubishi, or if they only have one key on their Ford, But I will still use the no key required modules from bypasskit.com on cars that they are available for, even though it doesn't save myself or the customer any money.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Tong 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2003 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Where can i bye "simple little module" ???
tong
radsta 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
J Rilla- I gotta ask, where do you have your shop? I can't stand cheap customers ! Steve
jrilla 
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

I am embarrassed to say because I am from Minneapolis originally.  But last year I moved to North Dakota so my wife could go to grad school.  And get this: The only starter brand this entire town has ever heard of is Astrostart.  I offer a basic starter installed for $155, and I dont think I have had a single customer who has not asked me:  "Is that an Astrostart?"  It drives me nuts.  My prices are so cheap compared to anywhere else in this town and people still act like I am asking outrageous prices.  I was a little curious so I called best buy and they wanted $48 to trigger a power trunk release.  And any additonal relays cost $13 plus whatever the labor costs.  I charge $10 for an additional relay (including labor) as long as it is a straight forward install.  But people will actually go without their trunk release or an anti-grind relay becasue $10 is just Outrageous! It is actually really funny sometimes, but then again maybe I just have to laugh to keep myself sane.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

Irock355, what is the name and brand of the module that "runs over the top"??

Thanks.

Shawn

Hak
Siemens Autostart
jrilla 
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

Go Here: www.bypasskit.com

They will have everything you are looking for. 

J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic