Alpine CDE-9852

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2006 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hey:
Ok, i have the above deck, but my buddy also has an alpine (un aware of model) but he can turn the screen off, so it's sitll playing but the screen isn't lit unless a function is pushed... Can i do that with my deck, and how??? Thanks
lcplklyons 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have am Alpine CDA-9856 which is second only to the CDA-9857 and the only control I have over the display is a dimmer control, which there were instructions for in the manual. There is however no feature on mine in which I can just hit a button and turn off the display. This may be a feature reserved for the CDA-9857. I would recommend checking your manual just to be sure, in the visual customizing section. I hope I was helpful.
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Older alpine models from 2004 have a blackout function (I have a 9831) if you hold the display key for about 3 seconds it will blackout the display and according to alpine direct more power to the internal amplifier and increase sq. don't know if the new ones have it as well but just try holding the disp. key for a few seconds.
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Your 9852 does not have the blackout feature. Directing more power to the ICs and improving SQ? What misinformed Best Buy salesman told you that? The sole reason for the blackout feature is to not have the display glaring in your face at night.
There is no such thing as free installation!
devile 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
is there anyting that i can dim down the lights or something on the deck....
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Your 9852 does not have the blackout feature. Directing more power to the ICs and improving SQ? What misinformed Best Buy salesman told you that? The sole reason for the blackout feature is to not have the display glaring in your face at night.

Not to be an ass or anything, but this quote comes directly out of the manual for my 9855. 

When the Blackout mode is turned on, the display will turn off to reduce power consumption.  this additional power enhances the sound quality.  Page 24 second column last paragraph. 

Anyway back on topic, to activate the blackout mode if it's availible on your radio push and hold the func. button for a couple seconds.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Wow some one owes best buy an apology. Well as far as the blackout feature I don't think that it makes that much of a difference.

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Your 9852 does have a conventional dimmer when 12 volts is applied to the orange lead. I called a former employee of mine who works in Alpine tech support and he kind of chuckled and said the word "marketing" when I told him about the "blackout" improving SQ. Now not to be an ass or anythingbut if you cntrylvr79 can tecnically explain to me how it works, I'm all ears. On yeah I forgot, Sorry to question Best Buy's knowledge of the 12 volt industry ROTFLMAO!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

Everyone knows that if you dim a player's display, there are not as many photons being emitted into the air.  Since sound travels through the air to get from the speakers to your ears, fewer photons means less interference with the sound, so it will be better.  That's why music sounds better at night (no sunlight to interfere) or in a completely darkened room.  There is also the psychoacoustic effect of partial brain attention, meaning if the display is dimmed more of your brain can pay attention to the sound rather than being distracted by the lights.  More attention means you can resolve more detail in the sound, so higher SQ.

Or at least that's what they told me at Circuit City.

Alpine CDE-9852 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO! You made my day Dave.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic