icon

Trying to Decide on Gear

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigpimpin18 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

Alright well I pretty much got it narrowed down. This is all going in a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab.

For the deck I want to go with the Kenwood DDX-8017 or the Pioneer D800. They both have good displays and not too hard to use. I can get the DDX for 900 and the pioneer for 800. Which one's would you guys choose?

For the Speakers I'm a huge diamond audio fan. I was thinking of going to their 5 1/4" HEX components for the front and 5x7" for the rear. Until i heard the Pioneer TS-C520PRS Or I'm thinking of the Boston Pro's.

Also since I'm going to be spending this amount of money do you think it's worth buying the new rockford fosgate 3sixty???

ANy input you guys give me would be greatly appreciated

1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
well, IMO, i'd say don't go with the pioneer. the kenwood is ok i suppose, but i'd recommend either an alpine or eclipse. you can get a very nice one for that price. the pioneers are bad about having noise in the rca's. diamond audio makes some great speakers. that's always an option. boston also makes some great speakers so i guess it's all about which one you like. again, i just can't recommend anything from pioneer, and i sell their products. personaly, i'd say forget the 3sixty. sure, you are spending alot of money on a high quality system, but the 3sixty is a little overkill for an everyday driver. these are just my opinions as i'm sure some people will disagree. good luck.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
if you want a nice deck and want a processor, get an alpine deck with the alpine h701. make sure you get one that can control the processor as well. if you want to go all out, get the w200 doubledin touchscreen and run the fibercable to the h700 processor. absolutely no noise.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with an eclipse deck with focal 165v series mids and highs, all are in the price range you are looking at. the 165v components are the best all around for any kind of music and are the best quality iv'e found for under 1500 bucks a pair. as for amps also look at eclipse, they are expesive but excellent quality and sound reproduction. you get what you pay for.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
No need for the 3.sixty at all. If you can squeeze 6.5's in the front doors it'd be a big improvement, otherwise your system will be lacking the low stuff pretty seriously.
bigpimpin18 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Well that's the thing. I'm getting these at a higher end stereo shop that sells mostly: Diamond Audio, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Boston Acoustics.

I bet those are all nice things, but I want a double din in-dash TV. Both the DDX-8017 and Pioneer D800 have there pros and cons. I think I'll be going with the Pioneer just because of the design and the features.

With speakers I'm debating on going with diamond audio hex's pioneer TC's or the boston pros.

I already have my amps and subs out of my previous car. I have 2 10" d6 subs a d1500.1 powering the subs and a d6600.4 for the speakers. All the wiring is going to be streetwires.

If any of you have or done installs a 1995.5-04 toyota tacoma please let me know what you are running for speaker sizes. The stocks are 5 1/4" going to the 6 1/2" might be a little difficult. Or I might even make a custom door panel to house some 6 1/2" components and 5 1/4" components in the stock spot.

boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
The 5" drivers will be fine if you have subs, didn't catch that before. They don't tend to do much below 100hz so setting the sub x-over kinda high may be wise. I think the 6" drivers have a "bigger" sound personally, but all this is personal preference.
The purpose of the 3Sixty is to make an integrated dash headunit upgradeable, so to speak. Since you're replacing the headunit it's a non-issue for you.
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

i cant say anything about the diamonds because i never personaly used them, as far as the pioneers i love their hu's, and their speakers are ok, but i dont think they can compete with the diamonds or the bostons....as for the bostons i had a pair of pro's a couple years ago and they were the best speakers i've ever had, they handle lots of power and sound very clean, so i would pick those from your choices....my main question is have you visited any other shops or just that one? if you havent visted others i would definitly go....while i was selling i ran into countless people who would come into my store "brainwashed" on a certain product just because that salesman did his job....i hope you catch my drift :

dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

At my shop we sell the Bostons, Premier PRS, and where I worked before we sold the Diamond Audio speakers.  By far, i prefer the Premier 520 PRS speakers.  They have a lot of mid-bass output and the highs are very warm.  Car Audio and Electronics Magazine recently reviewed the Premier PRS speakers and called them the "steal of the year".  The even stated something about them outperforming speakers that cost upwards of $1400.  Both Diamond and Boston have excellent speakers, but IMO the Premiers are the best.  I (and you) are of the fortunate few who have had the opportunity to hear speakers from all 3 of these companies.  USE YOUR EARS and make your selection appropriately.  Oh, and you can't beat the 3 year warantee you'll get with the Premiers!

Team Edge Audio
bigpimpin18 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
The only reason why I haven't gone to any other shops is because my buddy is the manager and I know both the installers. I get everything at cost plus 20% so that's why I go. A guy there has a toyota matrix with 2 12" RF subs and amps and stock speakers with the ddx8017 and the 3sixty.2. He said it is a huge difference in sound quality.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic