icon

Blew out Kicker sub ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
take4roll10 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a kicker 10' comp vx 2ohm sub (600 rms) to a mono 400 watt kicker amp (zx400.1). The sub blew out in a little over a month. I was told by Circuit City installers that my amp is underpowering the sub and I should get a more powerful amp. Kicker told me that the amp is fine, but I probably had the gain turned up too high. How am I supposed to know what levels to set the gain, bass boast, and cross overs? Also, do you think It's better for me to go with a more powerful amp like the 600 watt or 750 watt kicker amps?

Thanks for all your help!

1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
going with a higher powered amp would increase the possibility of blowing another sub. the amp you have now is absolutely fine. improperly adjusted gains is the cause of the blown sub. when the gains are set too high it will clip the signal. a clipping amp can produce about 4 times the rated output power which is why subs get blown so offten. there is absolutly no way to blow a sub by underpowering it. overpowering it is always the cause.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
take4roll10 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you, but how am I supposed to know where to set the gain, bass booast and crossover buttons on the amp?
1lowgalant 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
do a search on this site. it has been discussed many, many times.
1lowgalant 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2006 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
i believe stevdart and haemphyst have explained the proper steps very good in the past.
take4roll10 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

I couldn't find anything that those guys postes in the past. I figured out that the gain is supposed to set at the radio's pre-out. but my radio is the pioneer dehp6800 and it's 2.2v. I set the gain and I can barely hear anything. I still can't figure out where to set the crossover and bass boost. I just don't want to blow out my sub again. The sub is 600 rms and the amp is 400rms. Is it better for me to get a 600rms amp?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a search of just such a topic.
Leave the bass boost off, and set the crossover for somewhere around 80Hz to start...
It is true that you probably blew your subwoofer by "technically underpowering" it, but only in the common understanding of the phrase. Your 400 watt amplifier CAN make as much as 800 watts, if driven continuously in a "clipped", or saturated state. This has a little something to do with crest factor... I'll try to locate that thread as well, and post now...
Here...
If you don't want to read the entire thing, here's a link from within the thread explaining in GRAND detail the processes involved. WARNING: If you have not read this link, HIGH LEVEL technical stuff ahead!
Here's the search in which I found that thread.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
take4roll10 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2006 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
thank you!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic