the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Set Your Gains

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
I noticed the SMD DD-1 uses 1kHz and 40Hz test tones. But the OP said to use 120Hz for the main amp (I assume a 4-channel amp hooked to the front and rear speakers).
Is using 1kHz the wrong way to do it? Having a hard time finding 120Hz test tones...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2017 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
1Khz is fine.
Support the12volt.com
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2021 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
Obviously SOMEONE knows their car audio stuff here! NICE write-up, especially for beginners in car audio!
I just have one thing to mention: equalizer/tone settings. I've watched a ton of videos about all kinds of different ways to set gains, and the best were with an O-scope, which I recently purchased. My head unit and amp are about to be replaced, so I haven't worried about using any tools to set my gains just yet. At this point, everything is set by ear and seems to be perfect.
But what I always wondered was if you set all your tone controls in your head unit to flat, then set your equalizer frequencies all to flat, THEN set your amp gains, the minute you turn up the frequency levels, won't you then introduce clipping by cranking up frequencies? The answer I found was YES! Several professional installers have done videos that suggest you set your amp gains with your equalizers (in the head unit and/or external) set they way you will listen to your music most. And this makes more sense.
If you turn your bass to flat and don't have it up when you set your gains, the minute you crank up your bass you're NOT going to like what can happen. SO, for this reason, once I get my head unit and amp plus 4 new speakers installed in the next few weeks, I'm going to try setting my amp gains FIRST with my equalizer settings the way I plan to keep them most of the time. You can always turn them down, but don't want to turn them UP if you set your gains with them at a certain level.
I'm sure this might sound like a bunch of crap to most of you, but it certainly makes sense to me. I'm not making this stuff up, I've actually saw several videos suggesting doing it this way. Once I try it, if I don't like the results, I can always set things to flat and do it all again. I'll set my head unit's equalizer to CLOSE to flat, then my external 7-band parametric equalizer will be left the way I listen to my music 90% of the time. If it works as I expect it to, I'll be happy! My new head unit has a built-in 25-band equalizer, so THAT going through an external 7-band might be frequency overkill in my opinion. So yeah, I'm going to have my highs way up where I like them, and my bass flat like it always is on my head unit (but turned way up on my bass level control on the equalizer.
Okay, time for everyone to tell me how wrong I am or how they can't believe I even posted this! I get sarcastic comments all the time on facebook when I offer advice from what I've learned in my 45 years around car audio, but it's usually from people younger than my own kid, so I just ignore it. As I mentioned above, I don't make this stuff up. Anyone who thinks I'm wrong about setting amp gains with frequencies adjusted above flat can watch the same videos I did. It would sure be more adult than slamming ME for posting this.
NO, I'm NOT saying the original post was by any means incorrect! I'm merely stating that there is an alternate way of setting gains that makes more sense to ME personally. The rest of you can do it the way stated at the beginning of this thread.
Page of 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic