Possible to add remstart to 99 Audi A4?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterice 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, the subject doesn't really cover the whole story so here it is:

I have a 99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro and I'm trying to add remote start, only using the factory key fob...is it possible to grab a 12v trigger wire inside the car that I can program to activate off the factory remote?  I know with a VAG COM I can program remote power windows, so I'm hoping it's possible to program just a generic out.  I'm used to working with Directed alarms/remstarts so I know i can use the (-) remote start trigger wire to activate the remote start, so I'm hoping I can grab that in the car with the factory fob.

Any advice or ideas would be great, thanks in advance!

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Although I am not familiar with the A4, when adding a remote start using a factory key fob I use one of the legs to the driver's door actuator for trigger. The DEI systems I install offer both a positive and negative input trigger. I just tap into the driver's door actuator positive leg and program the remote start to look for 3 pulses on this wire. This only works if your factory remote will still operate after the vehicle is running, otherwise you will be able to start the car, but not unlock it via the key fob once started.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
That's more or less the same car as a Golf/Jetta, right? I did a remote start on a Jetta and it wasn't too bad.
I had a little trouble getting the transponder-key bypass to work, but eventually I got it.
(You do know that the key has an anti-theft transponder chip inside, and you're going to have to sacrifice a key for remote start, right?)
But, as far as using the factory keyfob for remote start. There are plenty of units made just for this---Audiovox AS-9075A, DEI Valet 561T, and others.
But, the factory keyfob is inoperative when the ignition is on. Therefore, when the car is remote started, you're going to have to open the door manually with your key. If that is a problem, it might be better to get a unit with a separate remote that'll do the locks and trunk too.
Also, is the range of the factory fob sufficient for you? Can you lock and unlock the doors by remote from inside your house? The remote start will have the exact same range as the doorlocks.
whiterice 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I think I've got this figured out...I'm just going to use a Valet 561R (i can't get my hands on a 561T) and program for a triple pulse lock = remote start.  Now my big issue is getting the bottom half of the steering column shroud off so I can access my ignition wires and place the ring from the 556UW around the ignition cylinder.  It has 2 phillips and a hex screw on the bottom, and then two torx to remove the handle of the adjustment lever...but there are two phillips screws on the front of the shroud, and I can't get to them because my steering wheel is in the way.

Anyone know how to get that piece off so I can do my install?  Thanks in advance if you can!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic