icon

good setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomboomtruck 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
i am kinda new to the big stereo systems and currently i have a 87 chevy blazer that i am going to put a pretty nice system in, my plans are to have a pioneer deh-6800 head unit,  2 pioneer 5 1\4 3 ways in the front kick panels, 2 pioneer 6x9 4 ways in the back beside the seat and 2 pionneer 12'' priemer subs and im not sure what amp i should use, also i plan to use 1\0 gauge power and ground wires and 10 or 12 gauge speaker wire. i also plan to upgrade the charging system with a higher amp altenator and a optima battery. one other thing i might have to do is put in a capacitor. feel free to tell me anything i need to know or change in my setup plans.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

Best move that you can make is simple here. Listen to speakers and buy the ones your ears prefer. After that, upgrade to a Eclipse cd player due to the inherant noise issues of the Pioneer head units in amplified systems.  Ignore the cap, it is not necessary. Instead of small kick panel speakers, consider going to a set of larger door mounted component speakers, this will incease your ability to recreate sound tenfold. Concentrate on some good and I mean good front speakers as it seems you want to have some serious power in the back on those subs. When that happens you need to have a good set of front speakers and an amp on them to try and keep up with the overwhelming bass coming from the back.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boomboomtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the advice, the only thing i have bought is the 6x9s and i have hooked them up with my home surround ystem and the sound exelent so, should i get 2 more for the doors or get a larger round speaker? also what amp is good to run my sups and front speakers?
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
What sort of $$ are you trying to spend..?
To make use of 0 gauge and Optima batteries you'd need to drop like $750 in amps, nevermind the wire and battery and all that.
If you like the way the Pioneers sound in the coaxial format, by all means, save yourself hassle and use those also upfront. 6x9's get awfully loud with fairly little power ... lotsa cone area on those speakers.
In the 'power range' you imply, there are literally hundreds of excellent amplifier choices. I like JL Audio amps alot. For what its worth..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
boomboomtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the help, one thing i am stuck on is amp selection i have read many forums on this but have come up with nothing, what is a good amp for this application?
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Get the components for your front then decide on the amp. Whether 4 or 2ch. you can probably run the rears off your deck power, those are not as important as fronts, they are for fill. On your subs I would get 1000w mono, when you realize that Pioneer subs are not good enough, you still have good amp to push better subs. I would go with JL/series, Kicker or Sound Stream on amps.
boomboomtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
i have found some pioneer 12''  ts-w3004spl subs for a good deal and i am pretty sure i am going to get them and a prs=d3000spl amp. 
boomboomtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
is this a good selection?
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

mike12volt wrote:
... when you realize that Pioneer subs are not good enough, you still have good amp to push better subs. 

I DISAGREE with this, completely!  Isn't it Pioneer subwoofers and amps that were used in the loudest vehicle in the world?  Have you heard the higher end speakers that Pioneer offers through Premier dealers?  Especially the SPL line of subwoofers... Or have you only heard the entry level stuff they offer? 

To the guy who originally started this thread... Why don't you consider going with ONE of the SPL CHAMPION EDITION subwoofers?  i.e. the 5000SPL?  One of these would outperform 2 of the 3002 or 3004 SPL subs in the proper enclosure.  I will agree that going with a pair of components up front with the proper power will definately help your mids and highs come near what your subwoofer(s) setup will put out.  I do have first hand experience working with all of these Pioneer Premier models and I can assure you that you will be satisfied with the SPL line (either way you end up building it).

As for components try listening to the Premier PRS components.  Car Audio and Electronics Magazine recently reviewed the 720PRS set and called them "The steal of the year" as far as price vs. quality.  I have 2 pair of these in my truck and I absolutely love them.

Team Edge Audio
boomboomtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the advice stang, i have heard the premier series componets and they are absolutly one of the best componets i have heard! although i am not familiar with the 5000spl sub, also i do get the (2) ts-w3004spl's  what amp would i need to push these subs and how would i wire them to get max sound performance?     thanks again everyone

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic