the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

LOC troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I installed two amps to a factory head in an 03 Mazda 6. However, I am having some issues adjusting the LOC. I just read a few post on how to adjust and test, so I will try that tonight. I still had some questions. Just so you know the LOC is pac and amps are visonik. I know they are not the best, but it is not for me. LOL. Here is what I did, I used two locs( front and rear) and off the rear, I used y adapters to tie in the sub amp. The four channel amp do not have a pass thru, but the sub amp does. I was thinking about connecting the rear loc to the sub amp and then drive the four channel amp from the front loc. I just wanted to know if that was a good idea? Off course I will make my measurements. I wanted to know where I could quickly get a cd with the different tones. I am open to any  suggestions.

MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
The two variables I see here are using the fader to adjust F - R volume or sub level and whether or not to use the sub amp's X-over, assuming that passthru is crossed over.
As to the answers to those questions, who cares what I think - it's all about what you want.
Test CD - google "tone generator," you'll find some freeware out there. Or Amazon.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest you use that full-range passthru that the sub amp provides (it should always be full-range, not affected by sub's crossover). 

Connect one LOC to the front speaker wires.  This is to provide signal for the sub amp and channels 1 and 2 of the four-channel amp.  Connect sub full-range out to channels 1 and 2 in, and no Y adapters are needed...just short RCA cables.  Connect your front speakers to these channels.  (If, for some reason, the sub amp's passthru is not full-range, you would use the Y-adapters here.)

Connect the other LOC to the rear speaker wires.  Connect to channels 3 and 4 for the rear speakers.  Your deck's fade control will fade down the rear speakers without taking the sub's signal down with them.  BTW, one four-channel LOC would do the job instead of using two stereo LOCs.  Make sure you use ones that are rated "high quality".

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/burst-cd.htm is a professionally-produced test tone CD.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
See, I'd go the other way with it. I'd do one LOC to the 4 ch amp & run fr & rr off that alone, then use the other LOC straight to the sub amp. Set the gains to adjust the front-rear balance, then use the fader as a sub volume controller.
I'd do that b/c I tend to adjust the sub volume more than the front to rear balance. But again, it's about what's more important to you.
Stevdart's test CD there is sweeps & steps, I'd use something more consistant, like this. Admittedly these things are kinda hard to find, when you get one hang onto it!
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I did not get to read your responses until after I completed the job. Customer was happy. I used boulderguy method, but on the next install I will use a four channel loc. BTW, where do I get a quality LOC (four channel and 2 channel) because my local supplier is selling crap.
MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.davidnavone.com/ makes a variety of quality adapters.  You might look into buying up a few of these 4 channel LOCs while they're on special.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic