icon

looking for a 5.1 amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1883atlantics 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Vehicle: 1990 Toyota Camry LE sedan (I'm neither a racer nor a boomer so this is my "canvas" lol)
JVC-KDAVX2 Source unit. DVD-Audio, DTS, Dolby Digital.
Alpine SBS-05DC center channel (50W RMS 4ohm mono) DIN
Front 6.5 component set, likely Polk SR6500
Rear/Surround 5.25 coax, not chosen yet.
Eclipse 7-series aluminum 10" sub dual 4ohm
Ok, so I'm looking for a 5.1 amplifier and have found very little out there. I don't need the amp. to decode anything and I'm hoping for a single amp solution. I found this Audiobahn 5100T, but I've heard Audiobahn is over-power-rated but don't know if that's true. I don't care for the bling stuff but I won't be showing it off so no matter I guess. Here's the specs:
# Class A/B Mosfet Power Amplifier
# 2 Ohms Stable Stereo
# 1 Ohm Stable (Subwoofer Channel Only)
# 4 Ohms Stable Bridged
# Full MOSFET Power Supply
# Non-Regulated Power Supply
# Double Sided Circuit Board
# Interior Circuit Board Illumination
# L.E.D. Illuminated Edges & Heat sinks
# On/Off switch for illumination
# Illuminated Audiobahn name plate
# Clipping L.E.D. Indicators under the Volt Meter (Blue L.E.D. Volt Meter)
# Internal Cooling Fan
# 18dB Bass Boost
# Soft Start Circuitry
# Variable Sub Sonic Filter 20-50Hz
# Signal To Noise Ratio: 100dB
# High Quality Bipolar Audio Stage
# Hi Pass Variable Crossover for 1/2/3/4 channel: 30Hz to 500Hz
# Band pass variable crossover for center channel: 30Hz to 8000Hz
# Low pass variable crossover for subwoofer channel: 30Hz to 120Hz
# Variable Bass Boost for subwoofer channel: 45Hz, 0 ~ +18dB
# Phase shift for subwoofer channel: 0 degree to 180 degrees
# Dimensions: 12.7"(w) x 2.2"(h) x 23"(d)
RMS 4ohm power: 125 x 2 (front), 75 x 3 (Rear LR/Center) and 300 x 1 Sub. (500 x 1 2ohms)
   Is there anything else out there? Sorry this post is so long!
TIA
Jeff
Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Soundstream D'artigan 5.1 I hear is a nice amp.
MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure if you will be able to still find it, but if I wanted a 5.1 amplifier, I'd get a Soundstream d'Artagnan.

I found one for sale in the UK with some judicious searching..

http://www.caraudiofield.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3542&MMP=101508655

These were, if I recall correctly, designed and built before Soundstream was taken over by.. I think Lanzar or some low ball Korean crap house like that.  It should be a highly competetive amplifier.

Couldn't imagine an Audiobahn would outperform it.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to add that a Soundstream, at least, back in the day, had the COOLEST naming scheme for its amplifiers EVER. 

I still drool over the DaVinci and I cannot, for the life of me thinking of a cooler name for a sub amp than "Angina."

The Human Reign was disgustingly cool.. 

Just think, you could tell people "I have a d'Artagnan"

Yes, only Soundstream ever named amps based on a classic protagonist in one of the greatest adventure stories EVER told. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for the (same) suggestion. It seems this SS amp is a strong choice! If I can't find it for sale in the USA, would the Audiobahn work? Are the power ratings of the Audiobahn lies or are they accurate? The online info I found didn't list CEA-2006 compliance, but other amps didn't either, so it must be the websites I visited.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

If you want a good amp, that is new and available now, look no further than this amp. The Audison LRX6.SR

http://www.audison.com/default.asp?lang=eng

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

Wow that Audison looks very nice! May be too rich for my blood though; plus, I'm not sure my ears could tell the difference between 55 Audison watts and roughly 100 Audiobahn watts. *Unless* the Audison is in the same price-ballpark as the Audiobahn (which I highly doubt), then I'll try to get the Audison.

The local shops here haven't been much help when I talk to them.  Would it be expensive to ship my front door panels to a shop and have them construct pods for my front stage? There are no door speakers in my Camry, just lower-dash speakers (which won't be used in my setup)

Thanks!

Jeff

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
Zapco also makes some pretty spectacular items...
Either of the 650.6 amplifiers would do an awesome job for you!
I know it's not REALLY 5.1, but this toy from Eclipse might put you in the right direction.
In answer to your last question, though, "Yes, the Audiobahn lies", no question. Not to mention that they have no concept of anything remotely referred to as sound quality. Save a few more Benjamins and get a quality amplifier.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I found the Audison on flea-bay from a 99.4% positive feedback seller for the same price as the Audiobahn. I'll see if I can get it. The problem there is that it's only 55x5 and 150x 1. That seems really low to me. There's also the 5.1 SS amp mentioned above for sale on the Bay.
How much money am I looking to spend if I wanted to ship my door panels to a shop to have pods built for my 6.5" front comp. set?
Thanks guys,
Jeff
ps. for it to be a true 5.1 amp doesn't it require a mono sub and mono center RCA input?
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
Zapco also makes some pretty spectacular items...
Either of the 650.6 amplifiers would do an awesome job for you!
I know it's not REALLY 5.1, but this toy from Eclipse might put you in the right direction.
In answer to your last question, though, "Yes, the Audiobahn lies", no question. Not to mention that they have no concept of anything remotely referred to as sound quality. Save a few more Benjamins and get a quality amplifier.
Thanks for the Eclipse link. I knew of this amp already and you're right, it doesn't quite fulfill my needs. It's awesome to see full-range class D amps from Eclipse tho!
I'll take a look at Zapco's offerings.
Jeff

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic