icon

component placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Posted this in a recent thread but didn't get a reply. I've just bought a pair of components to replace 6X9s for my mids since it was highly recommended. My vehicle is a small one so i don't have enough kick panel space to place them there. This leaves me with the door panel option. I was thinking that placing the components in the lower door will not give me the best mids because those frequencies are directional and any obstructions in their path will reduce the sound reaching the listeners (i have a friend with this set up and it sure sounds that way too). I am leaning towards placing them in the center of the door panels. 2 questions
1. Will the magnet of the speakers interfere witht the operation of the power window motors?
2. The speakers will basically be facing each other so do i have to worry about sound cancellation?
Prodigal Son
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
You probably didn't get a reply b/c the question's kinda vague - what kind of car is this? Are you cutting into the door panel in a new speaker location? Have you looked back there for clearance, Clarence?
About cancellation - no worries there.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

prodigal wrote:
I was thinking that placing the components in the lower door will not give me the best mids because those frequencies are directional and any obstructions in their path will reduce the sound reaching the listeners

Not so much.  The mid-ranges in componet sets usually don't play above 3 or 4khz, and at that point the speakers don't really beam all that much... off-axis response of mid-ranges is usually pretty good.  You would actually do better to keep the speakers farther away from the listeners, so both speakers would have to travel the same (well, closer to the same) distance to reach the listeners' ears.. improving imaging and keeping the sound centered on the cars' occupants. 

From you description, it sounds like you'd mount the mid-ranges at torso level in the doors?  That'd make the sound reallllly lopsided..  I wouldn't do it...

Tweeters are far and away the most directional of speakrs.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1991 mitsubishi galant and i do plan on cutting a hole for the speakers and elevating them with some round cutouts made from plywood. Ok so where would component placement be best keeping in mind kick panels are not a good option due to space. I've read so much about this equal distance thing but it doesn't sound practical to me. Think of it if i set this thing to be balnced at the driver side then the way it sounds in the passenger seats would not be good and ofcourse i don't think anyone would want their passengers sayingtheir system doesn't sound good. I'm just expressing my opinion here i am open to criticism and do accept when i'm wrong. Just looking for the best possible placement. Also i'm looking for some bass fill from these speakers as well since i'm running my 10" rockfords at 35 Hz and below (some thundering bass i love). Thanks
Prodigal Son
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you want some good information on speaker placement, cancelation, etc. read my Comprehensive Front Stage Setup sticky above.  Here's a link: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=78597&PN=1
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

prodigal wrote:
Ok so where would component placement be best keeping in mind kick panels are not a good option due to space.

For sheer installability, I'd put them in the factory holes.  I really couldn't imagine putting them anywhere else...  Mitsubishi's usually have pretty deep doors anyway, I can't imagine you'd have a problem.  If you don't want to do kick-panels (and space aside, I certainly hate those things.  Fiberglass is such a pain and pre-made enclosures cost a pretty penny.. nevermind no where for your feet to go)

prodigal wrote:
Also i'm looking for some bass fill from these speakers as well since i'm running my 10" rockfords at 35 Hz and below

10's @ 35hz.. uhh...  thats no good.  Humans can *barely* hear 30hz..

Dude that's so far below the effective range of a 10'... uhh....  you really should up that to about 100hz (at least 80)... door speakers *do not* play that low.   You are *not* going to get a quality 35-100hz from any mid-range..

Put your door speakers in the factory holes and raise your xovers to 100hz.  It'll sound quite good I promise.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
so tell me if i'm getting this right: the kick panel position is advantgous because it allows the components to face directly into the face of the listener whether driver or passenger. The driver side component for the driver and the other side for the passenger and would best perform (sound better) if the the angle was centered towards the listener's head to avoid 'lop-sided' sound. If so i can accomplish the same thing using he lower corner of the door panel by fiberglassing an enclosure right?
Prodigal Son
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

While I completely agree that using subwoofers with a low-pass crossover set at 35Hz is very silly I disagree that 35Hz is "below the effective range of a 10."  10 inch woofers can get down to 30Hz easily, especially in ported alignments. Set your subwoofer low-pass between 80Hz to 100Hz. 

As far as component mounting locations, I agree that you should read Steven's sticky post, then experiment and mount them where they sound best.

Support the12volt.com
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys i did heed your advice but i experimented a bit further. This time i used a test tone cd from 1 HZ - 20 kHz. This is what i found. My peakes were at 30, 35, 55-65 Hz and 25 Hz was also loud (not as loud as the peaks). The surprising thing is that 55-65 Hz was the loudest and sounded EXACTLY like 30 Hz. My set up is head unit to soundstream BX-10 digital bass reconstructor to equalizer with sub channel to amps and to speakers. Upon research i learnt that the BX-10 reconstructs bass from 50-70 Hz to a lower frequency depending the the setting (35,50 + 80 Hz). I have mine at 35 Hz. Even further i bypassed the BX-10 one time and used a 3 x-over3 set at 35 Hz and the bass i got was extremely weak compared to that of the BX-10 so the effective frequency of the sub is made possible by this signal processor and i find that the RF P210S4 handles it beautifully for just 200W rms subs each. While i wait for my components to arrive i made 2 boxes for a pair of 6X9s and placed some sponge to fill it and the mids i get now are just great. Will try the components and will post my observations and compare the two. Thanks guys. Still open to criticisms and ideas u may have.
Prodigal Son
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys i'd like to thank you for your advice and i'm 1 happy dude today. Just installed my 6.5 components in the lower door panel and i actually enjoyed my music. I used to run 2 6X9s in the back but i noticed that when i crank up the volume i got alot of bass and the rest of the music wasn't too clear but when i step out of the vehivle the mids were extra loud. It really makes sense now because i mean when driving and playing music the enjoyment is for those inside the vehicle particularly the driver. I also took some advice about rear fill using 2 5.5" sealed cone speakers at 20 watts each powered by the HU and the music sounds so sweet in the back seat. I achieved a great improvement thanks to you guys. Once again thanks for your valuable advice and looking forward to learning much more from you guys.
Prodigal Son
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic