icon

brushed aluminum

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hayabusa02 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am interested in adding a brushed aluminum bar to pull the door closed as part of my door panel project.  ANy ideas how to achieve that look?
koolauto 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
going to paint it? i just did a stereo insert on a 83 280 z car and used a plastic paint  hammered  texture  looked really nice. got it at wallys
hayabusa02 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  
The intention was to use brushed aluminum trim panels and not paint them.  I want to keep the brushed aluminum look.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Hey hayabusa, its pretty easy to get the brushed look. I made my own aluminum door sills and brushed them.   I just took some sandpaper and just ran down it in straight lines back and forth. Worked out pretty good, I would use either a sanding block if you have one. Or get a 2x4 anything thats nice and flat, wrap the paper around it and sand in a straight line. Might even want to clamp a straight edge on it or next to it to make sure its all uniform. Also once you start sanding in a certain direction dont stop in the middle continue all the way across or you'll see where you stopped in the aluminum.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
hayabusa02 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
That is kind of what I thought.  ButI Have to think you coat and seal it with something?  Maybe a clear coat layer or two so that it is smooth and not deep grooves.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
I went to walmart and bought a can of polyurethane clear coat. Sprayed a few coats on it. To keep it the way it was and from getting scratched and stuff. Plus aluminum gets dirty you know so I did that to keep the dirt from getting in it. Now I can just wipe it with a wet rag.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
integratyper934 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
there is a company called innovative plastics, i beleive thats the name, they have big sheets of easy to use aluminum. its like aluminum painted or something plastic.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Home Depot alse sells aluminum sheets and bars that i have found very usefull in door and accent pieces. As for the brushed look Scotch Brite has a scour pad that works great and they are about five bucks for a dozen. Use it the same way reality check suggested with sand paper.
hayabusa02 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
OK...thanks guys.  That is pretty much how I guess it worked.  I just wasnt; sure if there was a trick to it or a special pad or clear coat you guys used or suggested.  Sounds like I have the information I need to give it a whirl.  Thanks.  I'll post pictures of the progress, wont be for a while.  I have a ton of other fabrication to do first.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic