icon

No glass Bandpass Box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radiomk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

If I take the glass out of my bandpass box, will it work as a porte4d encloser?

mk1
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
lol depends...Why would you want to do that??? It depends on the plexi and how big and here its placed...in back side or on front ported side
If you want a ported box than either buy one (which I dont recommend), or build one
radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

Im broke and have no carpentry skills. The glass is on the ported side in the middle of both subs. I was told bandpass sux unless you have bandpass subs which I don't

mk1
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
bandpass subs? best thing to do is take off the glass and see how it sounds. if you dont like it put the glass back on or go buy a box
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

I highly doubt that it will sound very good. You will essentially have a very small ported enclosure.

Can't you get a hold of a sealed box? They can be had, usually, for about $50-$100. Shoot, I have at least three different sized sealed boxes sitting in my garage. Live near by?

radiomk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

I live in MA. I have a few boxes myself but all for 12" subs except 4 this bandpass 10".  This bandpassbox is all that will fit nice in the space i have to spare.

mk1
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
radiomk1 wrote:

I live in MA. I have a few boxes myself but all for 12" subs except 4 this bandpass 10".  This bandpassbox is all that will fit nice in the space i have to spare.

Funny, you'd think that a sealed box would fit better than a bandpass box. Go figure. None the less, I'd wait for an oportunity to get a hold of a sealed box, unfortunately I am in California.

jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
why a sealed box? looking for good sq?
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I once took the window off a bandpass box I had with two Orion XTR 15"s. It sounded worse, alot worse. The box was massive! It was 1" MDF and barely fit in the trunk of a 85 cadallic sedan deville. But like someone said take it off and see how it sounds for yourself, but very careful when removing the screws, because if you strip the wood, that window will rattle severly if you decide to put it back on. Good Luck
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
So those speakers where not the original ones thats came in that box? considering that a bandpass design is a shot in the dark anyways if you take the glass off it wouldn't act like a ported because of three things. size, port length and the fact that the hole where the plexi was is restrictive. I am guessing you would probley blow the speakers imo. You need to get a box designed for the subs.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic