icon

really strange PPI amp malfunction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'm almost ready to call it quits...   I got everything reinstalled and wired up. Now when I connect the Sub-out rca's to the amp there is a high pitched constant noise coming from the amp itself. It seems like the amp runs fine if I just hook it up to a regular walkman and use that as the source.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

YOu need to ground the shield of your RCA jacks    If you have a real test light with a real light bulb in it   ground one end and touch the probe to the shield of your patch cord  while it is hooked to your amp  if it makes a loud pop and starts working properly  you need to solder a wire to the shield of the patch cord and ground the other end of the wire.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
You have a ground loop if you only grounded one side of the rca's. Ground both sides- at the amp and at the radio and see if your noise goes away.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
this is how everything is hooked up now:
4 gauge power wire from the battery + to the amp + terminal.
8 gauge wire from the main grounding point under the dash to the (-) amp terminal The head unit, rca shields, and amp are all grounded at the same location under the dash.
I soldered a wire to the ground shields of the other end of the rca cable and connected the wire to the ground terminal on the amp.
So I ran the stereo without starting the car and everything seemed to work fine aside from the loud sub pop as soon as I turned it on. I did notice that as I increased the volume, I started to get bass distortion in all of the interior speakers, despite the fact that they are crossed over at 125hz and I never had this problem before.
As soon as I started the engine the sub went out of control again popping loudly so i shut if off.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
I see a replacement amp in your near future.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic