icon

What size fuse to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kencat21 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I need help deciding what size fuse to use for my system.
i have a 72x4rms @4ohms amp, powering 4 speakers and i have 2 svc 12" 4 ohm subs wired in parallel @ 2 ohms to get around 400 watts rms from a 1 channel amp. Plus i'll have a 1.5 farad capacitor.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
I plan on wiring it like this pic plus i'll have the second sub.
What size fuse to use? -- posted image.
kymadan 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  

Use Ohms Law.........Watts divided by Volts = Amperes

Take the total amount of system wattage....... Divide it by 12....... And that will equal the Amperage of the fuse needed. The fuse needs to handle the power that will flow through the cable under maximum operating conditions (full power) and no more (ideally).

Like if you get 58 amps you would go with a 60 amp fuse. If your blowing fuses and it has been sized correctly, there is a short circuit that needs to be addressed. If you came between fuse sizes, you could go to the higher amp rating fuse (Which is what I would do.) for less of a chance of accidentally blowing the fuse, or you could go with the lower size that will have better short circuit protection.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
If you are asking what size fuse to put in your fuse holder, at the battery, in the red line on your diagram, then we need to know what size the power cable is.
If using a #4, fuse it at 150A, a #2 at 225A, and a #0 at 350A. That fuse is there to protect the car and the power cable in the event of a catastrophe, not for the amplifiers.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure to fuse the power cable at the distro block either a fused distro block or fuse holders right after it. Just a a reminder, I didn't see it in your diagram.
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
nice diagram.What size fuse to use? -- posted image. knowing wire size would indeed help. as haemphyst said, power wire fuse is to protect the vehicle and the wire, not the amps, but as mentioned, a fused distrobution block would be a good idea.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
kymadan wrote:

Use Ohms Law.........Watts divided by Volts = Amperes

Take the total amount of system wattage....... Divide it by 12....... And that will equal the Amperage of the fuse needed. The fuse needs to handle the power that will flow through the cable under maximum operating conditions (full power) and no more (ideally).

Like if you get 58 amps you would go with a 60 amp fuse. If your blowing fuses and it has been sized correctly, there is a short circuit that needs to be addressed. If you came between fuse sizes, you could go to the higher amp rating fuse (Which is what I would do.) for less of a chance of accidentally blowing the fuse, or you could go with the lower size that will have better short circuit protection.

Ohm's law??? fuse is to protect the wire
kencat21 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the responses, i will be using 8 gauge wire until it reaches the power block and then 4 guage after that until the battery. Haemphyst are you sure it would be 150? I was thinking more like 100 can you show me the math you used?
Im still not sure on how to mathematically do it because i read somewhere that you get the total rms power of both amps, multiply by 2, then divide by 13.8. But do i use the 4 0hm rating or however many are used. I dont know if this is right, but let me know if it is or not.
72x4=288
288+400=688
688x2=1376
1376/13.8=99.7
so wouldnt i use a 100amp fuse?
and at the power block use a 60amp fuse for the 4channel amp and a 40amp fuse for the mono amp?
thanks for the help.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Here...
No math required, all you need to know is the safe current capacity of the wire you are using, and fuse for THAT capacity. You are making it FAR harder on yourself than you need to... What size fuse to use? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kencat21 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
so ur saying i should use a 150a fuse at the battery and two 100amp fuses at the power block?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Yes although imo you generaly can fuse it to a low rating ie if something does happen it will pop a little sooner. As it is to protect the wire and not the amps is something that is understood, but I know several installers that use the theory of going 10 to 20 amps higher than the combined total of the amps fuses  for fuse sizing of the power cable..  I hope that made senseWhat size fuse to use? -- posted image..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic