2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasondavis05 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

snotdobbs wrote:
oh yeah when i dont use a relay for the parking lights in that truck its a 1k ohm resistor......works everytime

What wattage do you use? I when't to get some resistors and wasn't sure what to get. Thanks.

jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

As for motor leg wires, you can get the lock wire in the boot at the rear left door. Set the RS to activate after 2 pulses and use this wire. When using the factory remote, the first press only does drivers door and won't send a signal, but the next two will and will start the car. This trick is much easier than going in the drivers door for the motor leg there...

If there is a motor leg wire in the drivers door wouldn't it also be in the drivers kick panel? Thanks.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it without a relay or resistor. Find the factory relay at the fuse/relay box under the dash. You can hear it click on and off. Remove the relay and meter the terminals in the fuse box. One of the terminals will go from 12v to 0v when you turn the parking lights on. I believe it is the top left terminal of the relay socket when looking at the fuse box.
Connect your (-) parking light output from your remote start to that relay terminal and plug it back in. I have always used a piece of 22 gauge wire and soldered to the relay terminal. I have done over 20 Grand Cherokees this way.
If you have any doubts about having the right wire...
Connect the wire, put the relay back in, run the wire thru a 3 amp fuse and try grounding it. The lights should turn on.
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
i always grab the neg. trigger hazard flash wire and set my unit to flash parking lights while running, only had one customer complain about lights flashing. just my .02
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=jasondavis05]

snotdobbs wrote:
oh yeah when i dont use a relay for the parking lights in that truck its a 1k ohm resistor......works everytime

What wattage do you use? I when't to get some resistors and wasn't sure what to get. Thanks.

In this case the wattage rating is not really a concern. Any standard 1/4watt or greater resistor will suffice.

The purpose of the relay is for isolation. Current draw is a non issue in this case and therefore neither is wattage. The resistor is used to send a lower voltage signal to the factory module to activate the lights... the actual current of the lights is not drawn through it.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
jasondavis05 wrote:
Mike M2 wrote:

As for motor leg wires, you can get the lock wire in the boot at the rear left door. Set the RS to activate after 2 pulses and use this wire. When using the factory remote, the first press only does drivers door and won't send a signal, but the next two will and will start the car. This trick is much easier than going in the drivers door for the motor leg there...

If there is a motor leg wire in the drivers door wouldn't it also be in the drivers kick panel? Thanks.

No they don't. This car has DCM's, or door control modules. The BCM sends just data to these DCM's and they decode it right in the door. The lock relays are in this module right in the door, thus no motor legs are present outside the door.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

Do you mean the driver or passenger door? Sorry I'm not sure if your setting in the car or looking at it from the front. Thanks.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

As a rule of thumb "left" always means the drivers side.

Good Luck

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Wait..let me take that back..it means drivers side on left hand side drive cars..so put it this way...left means if you are sitting forward in the car looking towards the front windshield..I don't want any negative replies from our friends over in Europe and other countries that use right hand drive.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic