Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
adrianspeeder 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:

DYohn wrote:
You need a higher output alternator. No other solution will fix the problem.

what about adding a second alt? :)

Easy to do on nice big trucks, but if this is a FWD car, kinda a tight fit.
Adrianspeeder
'02 F250 PSD, '97 F-150, '71 F-100, '66 F-250, '93, '92, '88, '84 Broncos
Penn State electrical engineerin' major
djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
anything can be done..... like my old car I had was a pontiac sunfire and I had a double alt setup... a machine shop can work wonders you would be surprised... some times it is actually cheaper to go that route then a HO alternator...
I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
Now correct me if im wrong but dosent the jl 1000/1 have a voltage regulator in it so how could u say its gonna pull 2000 watts dj? Also im hoping your not the same dj that got booted off here a while back with the 160 + db and a audipipe sub.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged  

A cap is not a cure for anything like this. Think about it..why do you think the cap is installed as close to the amp as possible?

It will not solve the problem of excessive current draw through the amps wire at peak demands..it will help "stabalize" it to the amp..at least in theory..or better put will make up for some of the volatge drop that is lost in the wire for a brief instant..either way the cap still needs the voltage back once its drained..where do you think that voltage comes from..it is not free..it still comes from the charging system when the vehicle is running.

This problem as stated previously is most likey poor wiring that is not up to the demands..and quite possibly a charging system issue as well. All the expensive yellow tops and caps in the world won't solve this.

Upgrade the "big three" and I bet that helps, that car is not known for its wiring. If that does not do enough your alternator/charging system is either defective..or not up to the demands.

advanced_audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
I think Dyohn said it best "You need a higher output alternator. No other solution will fix the problem".
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  

agreed as well..but if the joke of a factory wiring that vehicle uses is not upgraded...nothing including an alternator swap will help considering the power demands of that amp.

The lights dimming to almost off is a sure sign of serious voltage drop..sounds to me like there is way too much resistance in the wiring due to it's whimpy size and probably corroded connections as well. And if the alternator/charging system has not crapped out by now due to that..it most likely will soon.

soultinter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Master5 said it best, LISTEN
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

And thank you for listening and agreeing soultinter.

To someone like myself that works on all kinds of cars and systems every day..this is common sense. First off the only complaint..at least at this point is the lights dimming...extremely dimming. He did not say the audio system was cutting off or that the car was not starting in the morning. He also states he has a good battery.

Now I am a absolutly an advocator of upgrading the alternator..but ONLY if really nessecary. Otherwise it is a waste of money. Now I can't say at this point with 100% certainty that the alternator needs to be upgraded. I would want the results of replacing the big 3 first.

1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
djscustomz1 wrote:
1lowgalant wrote:

a cap has nothing to do with your problem. you have a either a charging issue or the wiring from your alternator isn't working properly. IMO, your alternator just can't handle the demands of your system. all the caps in the world won't solve a charging system problem. upgrade the big 3 and see if that helps out. if not, you might want to look into a larger alternator. how many amps does your amplifier draw?

and 15 farads is a little overkill for a jl1000. 1 farad would be plenty if you wanted to use a cap.

1000/1 1 farad???? Are you serious?  the 1000/1 first of all is lw rated and  about 1000rms.... that means pretty much 2000 true watts on that amp... and the rule of thumb is 1 farad for every 1000 watts... so lets see.... you are wrong for giving him any advice...

heres better advice... the money you spent on the cap should have been spent on buying another yellowtop in the trunk.... or better yet a kinetik battery... they are around te same price and has more amps and amp hours.... meaning more reserve for heavy hitting systems... 

I personally have 2 kinetik batteries.. an hc 2000 in the engine comp, and an hc 2400 in the back...

what? 1000w rms = 1 farad. 2000 true watts? what? you do know the primary purpose of a battery is to start the vehicle, right? if you're not getting enough power from the alternator then it doesn't matter how many caps or batterys you have. as far as that goes, a battery isn't as good as a cap as in it takes longer for a battery to discharge than a cap so what does it do on those quick hard hits? i think you need to do some research before you advise people to waste money.

oh wait a minute, aren't you the stock boy that hit like a 1000db with an audiopipe 8" that's been in the car audio retail sales world for years and owns his own "custom" shop? yeah, that's what i thought. grow up man.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic