icon

door panel sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alphalanos 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have a set of CDT CL65 components in small sealed FG enclosures I made in my doors. They sound odd at higher volumes and I think its because of the fiberglass. Would it be better to put them in kickpanels with an open back? I dont have any sound deadening at the moment either.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Can you be more specific about the "odd" sound?
djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  
Sound deadening couldnt hurt... but some speakers are not meant to be sealed expecially componants and speakers for highs...
I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
agreed...some of us have talked to our focal rep about putting the K2Ps in an enclosure and he says if you do it has to be perfect and the difference is so small (if you can get it right) that its almost not worth it . For the most part i think that runs true with most door speakers they are just designed to be free air and dont like to be in an enclosure.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
generally, putting free air door speakers in an enclusore will do much more bad than good. generally speaking, you will lose low end and midbass responce.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

The literal term is infinite baffle...a "free air" technically would produce no low end at all..but I know both terms are used to describe the same thing.(althought incorectly) .I do it myself all the time.

But regardless, most car speakers (not subs) are designed for an infinite baffle which basically means that as long as the front sound wave from the speaker is not meeting with the rear wave ("cancellation") it will produce low response well with alot or an "infinite" amount of airspace. This is not to say it won't work in an enclosure per say..but if you are having "sound" problems with the speaker it is most likely the enclosure.

what I would do is experiment..either making the enclosure larger if possibe..or removing the back of it allowing the speaker to "breath" so to speak. It can't hurt. also as mentioned make sure the door panel is not resonating...dynamat or any good sound deadner designed for car audio strategically placed will greatly reduce or eliminate resonance and other rattles and help keep out some road noise as an added bonus.

Good Luck

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

As far as putting them in kick pods with an open back..kind of the same thing..you might need to experiment until it sounds the best to you by ear. If the pods can be mounted in a way that can limit cancellation, it should sound fine open back and have enough low end response. I tend to seal kick pods but I make them pretty large and usually use them in tandem with a properly enclosed mid bass.

The real benifit you will realize in the kicks vs. the door is the placement is far superior for sound quality overall. Think about what a sound stage is. In a perfect world you want it right in front of you..like the hood of the vehicle is actually the illusion of a "stage". Now speakers in the doors generally point to your legs..not really condusive to a good stage considering how directional the upper frequncies are.

Now imaging as well is improved with kicks. This simply has to do with the physical distance between the left and right speaker from the listeners ears. In other words although you will not be in the center of the speakers for the best stereo effect in either case..having them low in the kicks and firing up puts the listeners closer to equidistant from left and right then a door, dash or pillar location ever could...simply put. and a simple time delay is not the answer because if you were to delay the right speaker for example so the sound hits the same time as the left....the effect would be worse for any listener on the right.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic