icon

List of Cars Not To Work On?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
any new dodge product in general is now a complete PIA to do... I still do them, but have been charging more because of the stupid resistence issues, and wierd problems that come up....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
I will add a few more..
- Conversion Vans in general just suck.
- Older dodge intrepids aren't very fun for remote start/keyless.
- Older chevy/gmc vans with the ignition harness behind the cluster are the worst. The only easy wires in that vehicle are the brake and the horn everything else is a pain. I like to send these to the local Circuit City to show my appreciation for all the "check AM" they send us.
Mike
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

86 ford mustangs with the factory radio (I mean boat anchor) still in the car. I think the dash was built around the radio, never meaning for the radio to come out.

Caravans for remote start/security

1970's corvette that want a din radio installed, pot metal sucks.

any vehicle that smells REALLY BAD inside or is overloaded with junk so you can't do your job of installing equipment without moving a ton of stuff

I have worked on the cars listed and charged extra, except for the ton of junk, then we tell them to go home and clean out their car.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  
Any car that belongs to a family member. Cause they are a bigger PIA than the cars. You don't charge them or charge very little. And they want it like pumpin my ride. lol
Big Dave
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
If you guys are having an issue with the new caravans and what not, I suggest you look for a new bypass module. I use iData link modules and today for example I did a 06 caravan for a viper 5500 with locks, arm, disarm, sliding door control and bypass in about 1 1/2 hrs. Its super simple, like all of or 7 wires in the car and about 5-10 minutes of extra prep time on the bench.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
speedwayaudio1 wrote:
Any car that belongs to a family member. Cause they are a bigger PIA than the cars. You don't charge them or charge very little. And they want it like pumpin my ride. lol
We're on the same page here! Only two car I don't do. speedwayaudio1, you hit the nail on the head with the the first one FAMILY, the other is my pick FRIENDS! I don't do these cars any more.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.List of Cars Not To Work On? - Page 3 -- posted image.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

There are some vehicles that I want to do but am having trouble finding info. We recently picked up an Audi dealership and are having trouble doing add-on remote starts on some newer models, the a-6 and also a 2007 Q7. I am looking into using a CAN-SL2 with a 556u or similar but the directions on the SL2 are difficult to understand. I also have a dei CAN 1 which has decent sirections but we still had trouble doing an a6 with it and the q7 is not listed with that module so I didn't try it yet.

If anyone has SUCESSFULLY installed an add on remote start to an 05-up A6 or an 07 Q7 (dei does not even list this one yet) please post. Or, if you can help me to figure out the crank/ignition/acc I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx.

wkndracr 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
i did a remote start in an infintit m35 with the smart key, what a pain! the next one i do will hopefully be easier, and the dealer is already asking about the new g35's. thankfully, most customers dont want to spring for the extra smart key. now one of the owners of my company wants his daughter's 06 325xi. Havent done one yet, and not really looking forward to it either.
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
How about putting new radios in a early 80's  Caprice classic. 
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

I'll do anyhting a customer asks me too. I charge more for some cars tho. Caravans (99- now) are do-able, but uncomfortable for me because I am tall, so I charge the hell out of them. Most European vehicles are PIA's so they pay a premium too. I also charge extra if the car in question is covered in dog hair, cigarette ashes, or food in varying states of discomposition.

As far as new Dodges and cars without starter wires are concerned, they don't bother me a bit. Now that they have modules for just about every one of them, I don't mind at all. My margins are really good on modules, and I would sell one to a customer anyday.

Oh... I almost forgot. I haven't started charging extra for it yet, but I hate running wires into doors with molex connectors on both sides. Some are better than others, but some are damn near impossible. I did a mazda the other day and it just about had me throwing tools at it.

Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic