icon

2004 Dodge Ram remote start advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
madmike283 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone, I have some questions regarding adding a remote start to my Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4WD Hemi.  I've searched around here, and with SO much information and a lot of the pro lingo it's hard to come up with the right stuff for me to get.  I'm a newb to car security, etc. but I'm confident in my ability to install this on my own.  I'm an electronics tech in the Navy and pretty mechanically inclined as well.

The Ram has the grey key with factory anti-theft.  Sentry key I believe it's called?  I'd like to retain the factory anti-theft/keyless entry and just add a remote start.  What products are required (bypass kit?) and which r/s, keyless entry do you guys recommend?  I see a couple of the DEI units are recommended here a lot.

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm unfamiliar with the different products, etc. but I'm excited to get something and get it installed. 

Mike

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Mike,
DEI, Compustar, Autostar, Astroflex, Ultrastart,...etc. are all good name. Make sure you get some sort of support if you happen to burn the unit when you are installing it. Ask $$ what they will charge you to get it repair if you screw up the unit..etc. Most places you buy from will not entertaint DIY and newbies, myself including (you burn the unit you buy new a one period), but every shop is different, some do it just for the $$$.
bypass needs:
Bypass kit is one you can take a look at.
The other one is this.
The more expensive bypass are better. Why? Less work on the connection to the vehicle. Well, that is just ones opionion.   You make your own.
DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - DODGE / RAM PICKUP / 2004 / Remote Start
12volts red (40A), red (40A)   +   ignition harness
Starter yellow   +   ignition harness
Second Starter N/A       
Ignition pink/white   +   ignition harness
Second Ignition pink/lt. green   +   ignition harness
Third Ignition pink / YELLOW (10 AWG)(3rd acc)   +   ignition harness
Notes: This wire is not required for remote start. It only provides power to the power window circuit.
Accessory dk. blue and pink/yel (16 AWG) +   ignition harness
Second Accessory pink / YELLOW (14 AWG)   +   ignition harness
Keysense PURPLE / tan   -   ignition harness
Power Lock PURPLE / dk. green   -   driver kick, door harness
Notes: Lock is negative trigger thru an 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm resistor. MUST use relays.
Can also use Directed 457C or 456L interface modules.
Power Unlock same as power lock wire       
Lock Motor lt. green   5wi driver kick, door harness
Unlock Motor tan/lt. green   5wi driver kick, door harness
Parking Lights+ WHITE/ yel (L), WHITE/ gray (R)   +   harness at top of driver fender
Parking Lights- WHITE/ lt. green   -   headlight switch
Notes: Parking lights are negative trigger thru a 249 or 330 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.
Hazards WHITE/ orange   -   hazard switch
Notes: Hazards are negative trigger thru a 120 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.
Turn Signal(L) use hazards wire       
Turn Signal(R) use hazards wire       
Reverse Light WHITE/ lt. green   +   inside mirror or plug by PCM
Notes: The PCM is on the passenger side firewall.
Door Trigger see notes   -   see notes
Notes: The driver door trigger is purple and the driver side rear door is PURPLE / orange. These wires are in the driver kick panel. The passenger door trigger is PURPLE / white and the passenger side rear door is purple / YELLOW. These wires are in the passenger kick panel. Use all four wires and diode isolate each. See DirectFax document 1076 for wiring information.
Dome Supervision yellow/lt. blue or yellow/org   +   driver A pillar or cluster
Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A       
Hood Pin N/A       
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A       
Power Sliding Door N/A       
Factory Alarm Arm PURPLE / lt. blue   -   driver kick, door harness
Notes: This will also do door locks. Arm/lock is negative trigger thru a 2K ohm resistor. Disarm/unlock is negative trigger thru a 480 ohm resistor. Single pulse will do disarm without unlocking the doors. Unlock requires a double pulse. MUST use relays.
Can also use Directed 457C or 456L interface modules.
Factory Alarm Disarm same as factory alarm arm wire       
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm       
Tachometer dk. blue/gray   ac   PCM, orange plug, pin 34
Notes: The PCM is on the passenger side firewall.
On diesel models, the tach wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, 60 pin plug, pin 24, or at the camshaft position sensor just left of the ECM, in a 3 pin plug.
On gas models, can also go to any ignition coil or fuel injector and use the wire that is NOT BROWN / white.
Wait to start see DirectFax document 1091       
Notes: On the remote start, make sure to program the Accessory State During Wait To Start to ON.
Brake Wire WHITE/ tan   +   brake pedal switch
Parking Brake dk. GREEN / WHITE   -   parking brake switch
Horn Trigger dk. GREEN/ purple   -   horn switch
Memory Seat 1 N/A       
Memory Seat 2 N/A       
Memory Seat 3 N/A       
Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
Yes Type:
Sentry Key
Part #: 555CW
Alternate Part1 #: 556UW
Alternate Part2 #: DesignTech 20402
Alternate Part3 #: DesignTech 29402
Notes: Only vehicles with gray keys have the immobilizer.
Interface Module: Category:
Door Lock Interface Required:
Yes Type:
Data Bus
Part #: 457CW
Alternate Part1 #: 456LW
Notes:
Smart Starter Kill Relays: Not Available

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed Electronics assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2004 Dodge Ram remote start advice -- posted image.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

I would give up the idea of keeping the factory remote. (no range) Everyone loves the viper (except me) I am anti-DEI. The products are NOT superior, they just know how to market them. I would look for a Compustar dealer to do business with. Or An Astroflex dealer. Yes you will need a "bypass" kit.

These are jusy my opinions...K don't no body get mad at me.

madmike283 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks thepencil.  Did you forget a link for the first bypass kit you mention, or am I confused?  I'll check out the other manufacturers besides Directed.  The Valet from them is the only r/s kits that I've looked at so far online.  So I should only need a good bypass kit, the r/s kit, and that's pretty much it?

I don't intend to keep the factory remote, sorry if I wasn't clear.  I'd like to retain the factory anti-theft/alarm/whatever you wanna call it and just add the r/s with the new remote. 

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
CHDLPK3 from bypass kits.com will do your imobilizer and door locks, disarm ect...   so no messing with the resistors and such.. just get a good brand rs.. range warranty as stated above.. I deal in astroflex, but don't and never will sell over the counter, just to many things that can bite ya.. I also do not have DEI tatooed on my forhead, but they do make a decent product for the most part, there is just better out there... Good luck
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
No problem, bypasskit.com is where you want to go. Wish I thought about that. With the rights to sell it, that's got to worth millions, but that's a whole different story.
They are two different product, but it does what you are trying to do. Yes, you can and will maintain the intergrity of the factory system when you correctly make the necessary connection.
Any good remote starter unit will allow you to activate the factory alarm and also temporary turn it off when you unlock ( disarm it).
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2004 Dodge Ram remote start advice -- posted image.
madmike283 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I'll need to get a CHDL3-PK, or the CHRDAA and decide on a remote start kit.  I guess it's like starting a war to ask for a specific remote start suggestion? lol 

I just want sometime relatively basic with two remotes, separate lock/unlock buttons, and I guess that's kinda it.  Basically just want to start the truck up and warm it up or cool it down depending on the season.

snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
audiovox aps 686t baby works everytime
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

Note to Kar Tuneman,

I agree that DEI products are not nessecarily "superior" to other products (well a few) but thier success is due to more then just marketing..which I agree they do very well.

I also respect that this is your opinion. But IMO I find thier online support is excellent, thier products work first time every time out of the box, and thier programming is MUCH simpler and versitile than most every other product I have used in the past which includes, but is not limited to audiovox, ungo, omega, bulldog, clifford (pre dei), alpine, code alarm and a host of other known and unknown flea market brands I can't even remember.

As a matter of fact someone I worked for several years ago markets his own line of alarms and RS's. He started in 1975 which was about the time the owner of DEI had started. He met the owner of DEI years later at a CES show and asked him why he had so much more sucess then everyone else. His answer was "my product is really no different then anyone elses..its just that our stuff proved more reliable"

I have to agree with that but of course if "installers" are burning stuff up due to ignorance or lack of experience/skill of course they will blame the product. Yes..believe it or not that happens (sarcastic), but this is the main reason DEI will only sell thier systems to MECP certified shops and not to the general public..well at least in theory, I admit I see thier stuff gray marketed as well but I have to give them credit for trying.

But again as you stated this is an opinion and NOT to say DEI is superior than other products out there, especially ones I may have no experience with. But although not exclusivly, I have been using DEI products for 15 years give or take and have no complaints..well thier phone tech line leaves something to be desired(does anyone really have a good one?) but I have no need to use it because I have other resources if I can't find the info I need online or figure it out myself.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

My vote on a good remote start is Compustar. Perhaps I am just anti DEI as well but the tech support when needed is second to none and the equipment in my opinion is far superior.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic