Viper remote start has stopped

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mountainbiker 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
mobilecustoms wrote:
start the car with the key wait 1 sec press and hold valet push button- then the led will light up when learned the tach signal. then let go and parking lights flash once. then thry the remote start- it will work then.
I started the car, waited a second, pressed the valet button -- and waited and waited. After 2 minutes of no LED lighting up, I stopped depressing the valet button as I assume it wasn't working. Do I need to wait longer than 2 minutes?
Side note: when I start my car the LED flashes two times quick, pauses, and repeats. It does this for about 30 seconds. It has always done this when I start it up. I am mentioning it in the event I need to hold off depressing the valet button, until this is over or if it might mean something special.
mountainbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Additional info: if I put the key in the ignition switch, turn to ON (not started), then do a remote start -- it works. This must mean something...too bad I don't know what.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

to learn tach (although shouldnt NEED to as they dont lose tach if powered down)

start the vehicle with the key.. within 5 seconds press and hold the program switch... the LED will come on solid within about 2 seconds to denote tach learned, then release the programming button..... if the LED doesnt come on you have the wrong tach source

try the same thing but only put the key in and DO NOT turn it to ign and remote start the vehicle... if it starts fine, it's as i said in the beginning... you need to address a bypass issue....

if however it still doesnt start that tells me one of your ign's is not being powered......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mountainbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:
to learn tach (although shouldnt NEED to as they dont lose tach if powered down). start the vehicle with the key.. within 5 seconds press and hold the program switch... the LED will come on solid within about 2 seconds to denote tach learned, then release the programming button. if the LED doesnt come on you have the wrong tach source
I started the car, waited a second, pressed the valet button -- and waited and waited. No steady LED. What does it mean "wrong tach source"? Is this a wire I might have disconnected during my stereo head unit install? Or is it a programming issue?
kgerry wrote:
]try the same thing but only put the key in and DO NOT turn it to ign and remote start the vehicle... if it starts fine, it's as i said in the beginning... you need to address a bypass issue. if however it still doesnt start that tells me one of your ign's is not being powered.
Key place solely in the ignition will NOT let the remote start work. If, however, the key is turned to the ON position, then the remote start works.
Do you think I accidently didn't reconnect a wire or disconnected something when installing the stereo?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
sounds to me like an ign is not being powered... if it starts and all runs fine with the key turned to ign then you probably have the unit programmed for voltage sense... grab a meter and verify which ign wires are being poiwered when you intiate your Remote starter... it really shouldnt take more than about 5 minutes at that point to narrow down the problem wire.....  Ign's are critical so make sure they are all actually powering up, then start testing acc's...... you might just have a bum relay and the radio issue is just a coinky-dink....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mountainbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Friday night RS worked. Saturday morning radio install and no drive in the vehicle. Sunday morning RS didn't work.
My luck I did something to cause it.
I won't have a chance to pull the radio and have a look in the dash until Thanksgiving.
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
My guess is the remote start has alwas been programmed for voltate sence.  And although this sounds weird, this happened on my car.  It sounds imposssible, but maybe your newly installed radio is drawing more power, so the voltage sense programming threshold may need to change
mountainbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  

tbone587 wrote:
My guess is the remote start has alwas been programmed for voltate sence.  And although this sounds weird, this happened on my car.
 Do you know how it gets programmed for this voltage sense?

tbone587 wrote:
It sounds imposssible, but maybe your newly installed radio is drawing more power, so the voltage sense programming threshold may need to change
In theory, if the radio was turned off,  you'd think it would be drawing minimal voltage.  When I get home, I will try the remote start with the radio off and report back.

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check all the fuses on the satellite relays? For some reason I've seen quite a few of them on ford end up melting over time. There is two 30 amp fuses on the red power wires on the relays. One fuse powers the ign wires, the other powers the starter wire and acc wire. If the ign fuse is bad but the other fuse is still good, this may explain why it will remote start with the key turned to on.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
CutDog made a good point. One of the (2) 30 amp fuses may have blown on the remote start. I would check those first.
What happens if you remote start it with the key ON,. wait 20 seconds or so, and then turn the key off. Does the vehicle shut off or stay running? If it shuts off....that also points to the ignition wire not being connected properly or one of those 30 amp fuses is blown.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic