icon

I am looking to buy a good R/S.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wil3404 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking to buy a remote start to install on my wifes 2004 grand am. From what I understand I need to be able to get by the passlock feature. I was wondering what a good system would be. The features that I am looking for are first of all installer friendly, user friendly, and dependable. I don't need a real high tech system. I already have a keyless entry from factory. I have read through other forums that I may be able to get a system that I can use my factory remote to start the car. Is the right? It said something about "pushing the lock button 3 times and it could start" If someone can give me some suggestions on a few systems I'd appreciate it. I got a couple qutoes for installs and they were both between 350 and 400(just for the features I listed above) I think this was viper brand. I figured for that much I'd buy one , kill a saturday and install it myself.

One more thing I have another post under 1998 Dodge Dakota door locks that I could really use some help on. I got some 5 pin relays through the mail today and am ready to finish the install. I just need some of the expierenced installers on here to hopefully give me a hand.  Thanks,

Barnsy
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

as far as question 1.... you'll find many good brands out there and many OPINIONS here about what to buy... research a little yourself.... there are DEI fans like myself who would recommend their product and there are rabid anti-DEI guys like Kartuneman that will recommend what he likes and slam DEI whenever possible.... so asking everyone here to recommend something is futile...narrow the focus yourself and then ask for advice about the 2-3 modles you have narrowed your own search down to.....keep in mind often a self-installed product will carry no warranty at all.......  

your byapss module will have nothing to do with the brand of starter you choose.... but for that vehicle i would use a PLJX or GMBP, etc.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to use the factory remote, the DEI brand [forget the model #] is the way to go, if you want range and a pretty simple install, go with the Astro 903, extra transmitter, but you won't need to mess withthe locks and such on instal.. just a start button, stop button and cold temp activation.. nice unit, great range... Inexpensive also!
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

I knew that asking for ONE single unit would be a little much but a brand search may be a little better. I have actually had a little use of several different brands. First I owned a blazer for a while that had a DEI Valet system on it. It worked nice very easy to use 2 button remote. My wife  owned a car for 3 years that had the crimestoppe RS900V system on it. This also worked well. This is the system that I put on my dakota. 3 other family members had the same crimestopper models and they are still working so far. My mother just got a viper remote start installed about a year ago on her blazer and has had success. The only model I have had trouble with was a Bulldog system. I think I may go with a model from the DEI company. From reading the posts they seems to have a lot of good things to say about them. If any one has an opinion please let me hear it. Thanks again.

Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

In all honesty all I am looking to beat is the 350 to 400 range that I was quoted and being that I am installing myself I surly can buy a very nice unit for this price. I'm guessing that this is probably a little high for all the features that I want it to do. The one feature that sounds nice would be starting the car using the old factory remote. 1 remote would add less clutter to the wifes keychain than 2.(not sure why I'm worrying about this seeing as her keychain is the size of a basketball with all the pics and coupon tags, but hey I am)

Barnsy
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
I like the crimestopper brand they have all the wires and relays built in (Never have to use extra relays) for 2nd- acc, start, or ign.
very nice to install
use a GM-SL for a bypass kit
I would NEVER use a bulldog.
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
where is a good site to buy a remote start? I think I will look into the DEI brands first.
Barnsy
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
check out Asianwolf.com - I know there website looks like a 5th grader made it, but they are a reputable company.
They have awesome prices, and everything is pretty well priced. I have installed a few and have never had a problem with them.
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I think I may have found a system. How is the viper 791 xv? It says it is a alarm and a remote start in one. Has anyone installed one of these? Are they difficult? I would be installing on a 04 grand am.
Barnsy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic