icon

subs hitting wierd

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
i just installed 3 12w3v2's in a car running off at 2.7 ohms in a prefab ported box using a ma audio 401sx .  when the subs hit the middle sub hits the hardest and the other two dont but then sometimes the subs on the side hit harder and then sometimes they all hit the same??? the only thing i can think of is that it is becuse the subs have a shared chamber for all 3 even though it is ported.  so any help on this would be nice, thanx
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

If the subs are actually sharing the same chamber, and are recieving the same power, and are the same model sub and ohms..they should be hitting the same.

Either you have a phasing problem, or the coils are wired wrong..or a combination of both.

If you are 100% positive that all 3 subs are identical you can use a meter to see that each one is at the same ohms load. The use a 9v battery to check if they are in phase (they all move the same direction) when you send the dc voltage.

I can't see anything else it could be after that other then a poor enclosure seal somewhere (leak), but if they are sharing the same airspace I would think they would all show the same effect together.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed with master...to me sounds like a wiring problem.
Plug them into a wall socket and see if they all move the same direction...simple and easy test lol
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

Funny azn..yeah they will move allright...out of the baskets..lol

I have plugged speakers into the wall before...if you use ohms law you can see they are getting alot of power..well lets see...

P=e2/r   ok..so for a 4ohm sub....P = 110 x 110/4    P = 12,100/4       P  = 3025W rms @ 60HZ

yEAH i DON'T RECCOMEND THAT...LOL

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
oh he's at 2.7 ohms so closer to 5000watts rms...that'll do it
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

thats funny, before i even opened this post i knew it was a phase issue...just had this same issue the other night with my w6s battery test should prove this theory correct....

----i like coleslaw-----

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
ok so your saying its a phaze issue. there is a setting on  my headunit were i can reverse the phaze of the subwoofers, i did that and it doesnt help any and i have no idea what you are talking about  doing with a 9 volt batter, but could you explain it a little more so i can fix this problem
aznboi3644 
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
You can't simply swith a flip and correct your wiring problem...you are gonna have to get your hands semi dirty and take all of the subs out and redo the wiring.
Click on the woofer wiring guide on the left of the page for help
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
well i took them out of the ported box and put them a old sealed box that i had layin around and they work fine now.  the wirering was right on them i checked it like 6 times to make sure. i dunno i think there was somethin wrong with that box that i had them in. now i just have to build another box.  could it have had somethin to do with the port that made the subs do that?
aznboi3644 
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well can you draw up a picture of the box???
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic