icon

ideas on attaching front facia on my box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wildchildbmx6 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
i want to be able to attach a fron face on my box that is removable but sturdy. im making it out of thin hardboard. i think ii may vinyl wrap it to match the interior but i dont know any other way to attach it then to attach it under the sub ring. but that would let the edges hang loos and rattle. i need some ideas on designs and techniques to attach. i will greatly appreciate it
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

You can screw "ears" onto the sides of the box (made out of 2 x 4 or similar) and this will give you some "meat" to support the sides of the cover.

as far as fastening you can use screws with a choice of "dress up" caps or countersinking. If you want it totally clean but removable I sometimes use "hook and loop" strips which I staple on..kind of like what is done to secure some home speaker grills. It is alot stronger then velcro and if you staple it the glue not sticking well is a non issue. If you find the cover is to thin to staple to you can use an epoxy or CA glue to support the hook and loop for strength.

below is simple diagram of the "ears" screwed to the sides of the sub enclosure. In addition you can make the "ears" any shape you want or need depending. Or you can use MDF cut to shape(s) and screw those to the "ears" so you have many ways to make a solid surface for the cover to be sturdy.

Good Luck

ideas on attaching front facia on my box -- posted image.

wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
what about using a thicker wood and counter sinking some bolts into it.  u can then drill through your sub box, remove ur sub and tighten the bolts, maybe some sealant too???
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
You can also try using gate latches from home depot, they have some that are T- shaped and work on 90 degree angles. This way you can use them behind your panel and they won't be seen the ones I picked up were only 4 bucks each and worked well for a front facia that needed to be removable.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic