icon

Edges of glassed pieces.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldn't worry too much about enclosure volume, as long as it's sealed and has some minimal airspace it should be fine. Unless you were using these as subs I would think a 6.5 would not require much airspace to reproduce 100hz and up.

They say a 50% fill of polyfoam will make a speaker perform as if it were in a bigger enclosure. I can't imagine this hurting the sound so why not use some. However, I think it is more for subwoofer purposes then a mid. If the enclosure has more airspace it should theoretically produce deeper bass but IMO as long as it's sealed and aimed properly it will always outperform a door or dash mount as far as SQ.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldn't worry too much about enclosure volume, as long as it's sealed and has some minimal airspace it should be fine. Unless you were using these as subs I would think a 6.5 would not require much airspace to reproduce 100hz and up.

They say a 50% fill of polyfoam will make a speaker perform as if it were in a bigger enclosure. I can't imagine this hurting the sound so why not use some. However, I think it is more for subwoofer purposes then a mid. If the enclosure has more airspace it should theoretically produce deeper bass but IMO as long as it's sealed and aimed properly it will always outperform a door or dash mount as far as SQ.

punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

I dont typically reccomend making a kickpod actually sealed.  The chances of you being able to get the right airspace in there and not have the pod take over the whole footwell (slightly exagerated) are minimal.  Therefore, when the volume is too little it'll cut off your low end production.  I guess if you're not using the speaker for any low end then it doesn't really matter.

I'll tell ya man, my best advice for figuring out how they do things they do is subscribe to magazines, buy books, watch the tv shows and buy videos.  Get yourself some real hard background, even if the complicated stuff doesn't make sense at first.  Then once you can see how something simple is done in your head, try it.  This will give you some hands on experience with some of the materials and processes that were used in the more complicated things you read about or saw.  Then, once you have created some dust, go back and watch/read/plan again.  things will start to come together.  It worked for me. 

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

If the pod is not sealed what would you suggest?.....a ported pod? that would be nice if there is space and you are good at rocket science and/or have alot of free time.

But if just simply not sealed I would expect some cancellation...that can't be a good thing....am I wrong?  realize this is a 6.5'' used as a mid, a small tight enclousure should be the way to go I would think. And if it is a quailty mid with some power this will sound great.

maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
A small sealed pod is what you should be aiming for. The gaps aren't a big deal unless you like the sound of portnoise because thats the only real drawback. Most mids are built as door replacement units anyways, and doors are never sealed completly but with a large space to work with you never here the air moving like if you had a small enclosure like a kickpod.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
A small sealed pod is what you should be aiming for. The gaps aren't a big deal unless you like the sound of portnoise because thats the only real drawback. Most mids are built as door replacement units anyways, and doors are never sealed completly but with a large space to work with you never here the air moving like if you had a small enclosure like a kickpod.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone really like the sound of port noise?  lol

I guess in a small pod maybe it would sound like an air leak?

I wouldn't know because I seal them tight so they perform. I guess in some instances a door will produce better bass response if it can act like an infinite baffle..but thats kinda unpredictible. And mids aimed at your feet and very unequal distance from left/right is not really condusive to a great sound stage.

So perhaps there may be a small compromise in lower frequencies but to have a leaky enclosure expecting it to give better low end doesn't cut it ...for me at least.

alphalanos 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well I first had the 6.5's in tiny fiberglass enclosures, and they had good 'punch' but obviously no low end. But one thing I didnt really like was that they seemed to sound weird sometimes. I think the waves bouncing off the glass back through the cone was maybe causing some distortion. Just for fun I cut the back out of the fiberglass which turned it into an infinte baffle and they have great low end and seem to be a little clearer, but it could just be me. Im waiting for my RAAMat to come in so once I dampen the doors down hopefully they will sound better. They do sound nice now, im not complaining lol.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like that pod was way too small and might have had leaks as well. But if  they were mounted in a location the kept most or all of the rear wave seperated from the front wave once you cut the back..it would perform better on low end, like you stated as an infinite baffle.

Just goes to show it can pay to experiment..Even if it is just you..if it sounds better to you..and works for you..no reason it is not the best for you.

I tend to make floor pods pretty fat so there is enough airspace to have some low end..but most of my systems that I build pods for are competition level so I generally use a midbass up front as well...like 8'' enclosures in the floor and the such so I am typically more concerned with "punch" and not low end so much with the mid ranges.

alphalanos 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
I was considering adding a set of 8" CDT EF's in my doors. Would that be a good idea? Ive read that ideally the subs shoud be in the front of the car also. So my setup will be (all CDT) a set of Image enhancment tweets in the a pillars, the CL61 comps in the kicks, and the 8's in the doors. Does that sound like a good idea of should I do something else?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic