icon

RPM’s equals more Noise?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toxicnoise 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, my buddies stereo has been acting up I guess you could say.  Well heres what is wrong, the higher the rpms of the motor the more noise is going threw the speakers.  So what is causing this problem and how can you fix it if its fixable?  Thanks
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

There is not enough info and I could literally type 10 pages on solving noise problems.

I will try but have to make a few assumptions. One is there is an amp being used? Two is that this is alternator whine.

That type noise is caused from what is known as a ground loop, basically different ground points for multiple equipment in the system causing a voltage potential  which is heard as a high pitched whining noise  thru the speakers that increase with RPM.

Here is a quick list for possible fixes.

1) check all the grounds, make sure they are on solid clean metal..check for resistance with a meter..you want it as close to zero as possible between the ground itself and where it connects to the equipment..and between the grounds of each piece of equipment to each other..

2) the deck has a problem or missing filter...install a line choke or connect a wire to the outer shield of the RCA's and ground it.

3) install a ground loop isolator (band aid but works quite often.make sure it does not cause a low end response loss by listening, if there is loss you need a better isolator.

4) the gains are set too high

5) I don't see this happen as much with todays equipment but it is possible for noise like this to actually be induced through the signal cables.  Quickest check is to run a new set of rca's from the amp to the deck outside the car. Move it around and see if the noise come and goes with the movement. If it does..re-route wires.

6) possible defective rca cable..same test procedure as above.

If none of this helped get back with more specific information..I don't want to brag but i really am one of the few people I know that is not afraid to deal with engine noise and I always win..well lets say I always figure it out..I can't help it sometimes if a piece of equipment is defective and the only way to eliminate the noise sometimes is to replace the defective part.

jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2006 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

need a better ground, or your wires are getting an altinator noise because they are not shielded. i would try getting a better ground as that should help. (did with me anyways)

bigboi11 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem before and if none of the the things they say work you probably have either a cheap amp or head unit or both. I say that because when I upgraded my HU and my amp I was able to loose the ground loop isolators and it was perfect no noise at all.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

Yep..cheap equipment can absolutly be noisey. But I classify those in the "defective" catagory on my list.

I used to see these cheap amps and eq's called "Jetsound". They always had noise that kinda sounded like a jet so i used to joke that it was supposed to have the noise and thats way they called it jetsound..lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic