icon

I need relay to hang for an extra 2 sec

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
porschemaniac 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

I am using the grounded mute wire from a handsfree kit to trigger a relay.  Basically 86 gets 12V switched and 85 gets the mute wire. 

My need is to get the relay to be sluggish so it hangs for 1-2 seconds or so.  I realize I could use a timer circuit, but is there any quick and dirty way to get the relay to not chatter so much (my cell phone drops the mute several times while initiating a call, such as between rings, and this is very annoying).  Any suggestions really appreciated. I know how to put a cap across the coil to get the relay to drop out after a short while - but is there any way to sort of do the reverse and make the relay think it is still grounded at 85 for a little while even though the mute has gone high for a second? Porschemaniac

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

The chatter seems to me like feedback from the relay coil. did you try a "quenching" diode yet? Put the cathode (stripe) on 86 and the anode to 85.

Now this will not prolong it but it will drain the coil and hopefully prevent the chatter.

Let me know.

porschemaniac 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks very much for the response. Yes, I do have a diode across the coil.  It is not really "chatter", but dropping out of the relay for a second when the mute wire repetitively goes high between rings.  It is an issue with the bluetooth kit and phone - but i'd like to solve it at the relay by having a 1-2 second hold on the relay coil.  Any ideas?
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

Instead of putting a cap across the coil..try putting it on the mute wire with a resistor (rc circuit).

I do not know the values off hand but it should cause a delay you desire once the right values are used.

porschemaniac 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
A sample circuit on how to do this would really help me.  Thanks.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=84785&PN=1

If you read through this thread it will give you some ideas and other links to building RC (resistive/capacitive) circuits. Lots of good info there but it might take some experimentation. If it helps keep in mind a relay coil draws aprox. 150 milliamps @ 12v, that might help as a starting point to determine the delay time length. Caps and resistors are cheap enough so buy a bunch and knock yourself out.

Good Luck

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
I need relay to hang for an extra 2 sec -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

I need relay to hang for an extra 2 sec -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

isolate the phone kit mute wire from your relay with a diode, 1N4001 (band towards phone kit).  add capacitance across the coil of the relay.  the value you add depends upon the several factors (resistance of the coil, drop-out voltage).  if it's a bosch or equiv., i'd start with around 1000uF and adjust from there.  25 Volt rating should be fine.  the relay should remain energized for a brief period of time even after the mute lead goes high. 

hope this helps

mark

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
 Post back if you try either one with the results, I am curious.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic