icon

Door locks, 94 Cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
buckeyejerry 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,  I have a 94 Cherokee that has factory remote door locks and security.  I am trying to install a extreme sr-22 remote/keyless entry.  The car starts fine with the remote but the problem I'm having is the doors wont lock or unlock.  When I press either the lock or unlock the unit clicks and the parking lights flash but the locks do nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Im sure you knew this, but i ask anyway.
your door locks are positive trigger,did you take the neg trigger output of your alarm system and run it thru relays to create a 12v output??
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
buckeyejerry 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

Actually I did not know that.  I was told I didn't need to add any relays.  This is my first attempt at something like this.. I don't know a great deal about this kind of electrical componets and I guess I'll just settle for the remote starter working.

Thanks.....

buckeyejerry 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know if this helps but there are three wires coming from the unit, (1)Blue door unlock (-), (2) Red 12v (+)' (3) Green door lock (-).  I was under the impression that I wired the blue to the POWER LOCK | ORANGE / purple | +  | and the green to POWER UNLOCK | pink/purple | +  | and not quite sure about the red. I know I'm probably way off base here being that would be wiring a negative to a positive. Does this mean I will need relays and if so what would I need to get and where?

Garth 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
your installation manual (if you still have it) should have a 1-3 page section on how to hook up your doorlocks. Your (-)lock output should go to pin 85. Pin 86 and 87 are 12v+ fused with a 7.5A fuse, and pin 30 is an output to the ORANGE / purple (+) listed above. Do the same thing for the unlock. Your (-) output is a trigger on the relay to change the current from the (-) you have to the (+) you need. If you have no idea what I just said, maybe play it safe and hire someone for that part.
Personally, I'm a bit leary on giving advice this simple on the internet, as if you don't understand something simple like relays, you can make a mess of your vehicle very easily...
Garth Shostal
Ground Pounders - Automotive Security
Est. 1998
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
You may want to brush up on some of the basics of relays here on this site before going too much further.
A couple notes -- You'll want to either disconnect your blue and green wires from the door lock motor circuits. The motors will try to draw the amperage they need and could damage the units. Also, if you do decide to use relays, I would run a seperate power wire for the relays from the battery (using a fuse block mounted near the unit if you really want to be safe). The red wires from the unit may not be capable of supporting the door motors. Also, the wire supplying power to the unit may not be heavy enough to allow the unit to function plus the relays. Better safe than sorry.
Good luck!
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

mjwood0 wrote:
You may want to brush up on some of the basics of relays here on this site before going too much further.
A couple notes -- You'll want to either disconnect your blue and green wires from the door lock motor circuits. The motors will try to draw the amperage they need and could damage the units. Also, if you do decide to use relays, I would run a seperate power wire for the relays from the battery (using a fuse block mounted near the unit if you really want to be safe). The red wires from the unit may not be capable of supporting the door motors. Also, the wire supplying power to the unit may not be heavy enough to allow the unit to function plus the relays. Better safe than sorry.
Good luck!

im not sure i understand what you just said?

*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic