icon

Lights flicker on and off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
This is a simple one. Go into the programming menu and switch off the "security" feature. The 160XV has an "alarm" type of feature that "arms" when you press the lock button on the remote. It will trigger when the key is turned (unless the remote start is active). It flashes the parking lights, honks the horn, and activates the starter kill (provided the starter kill and horn are hooked up). To disarm the system, just use the unlock button on the remote before you turn the key on. Or you can go into the feature menu and turn the security feature off; newer versions of the 160XV have it turned off by default.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

kaezoo, I would have suggested that as well but if you read the rest of the posts you will see that the dome light inside the car is flashing as well....what in programming is going to "simply" stop that from happening?

Hopefully he just described the problem wrong and it is that simple.

kaezoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
While I don't know for certain if the Viper unit flashes the dome light as well as the parking lights when the security function is triggered, it seems possible.  All other symptoms fit the security diagnosis perfectly:  the "alarm" is triggered when he turns the key, it flashes the parking lights on and off, and stops when he "disarms" the system, ie, presses the unlock button.   The quick test is to push the unlock before turning the key, and see what happens.  After that, turn the key off, "arm" the system with the lock button, and try it again.  My guess is the symptoms will all disappear if the unlock button is pressed before the key is turned.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

In hindsight that does seem logical. What threw me was the domelight flashing with the parking lights..that lead me to assume something with voltage dropout was causing an intermittent output to the door trigger or domelight supervision, or it was crossed with the parking light output. I have done a thousand DEI installs and have never seen a unit that flashes the domelight under any circumstance..just cause it to come on for a period of time during supervision, if connected,then turn off when the key is on or ,after a length of time.

However, I also agree that the programming be checked because it is absolutly a possibility.

If it turns out this is simply a programming issue I can execpt that I read too much into the problem.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Oh in addition it is also stated at the beginning of the post that this happens after the brake is stepped on. All that is supposed to do is shut down the RS, I don't believe it will trigger the security..that would be by opening the door (if connected properly) and/or turning on the key itself..not the brake..so the symptons for the most part point in your direction..it is the cause and the domelight issue that have me baffled.
kaezoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

The security feature triggers with ignition, but it doesn't trigger for remote start.  When he steps on the brake, he's turning off the remote start, so the security feature is no longer bypassed and it triggers.  It's not the stepping on the brake that triggers the security system; it's the fact that the key is on when he does it.  (Very similar to ignition controlled door locks; if you remote start then take over with the key, the doors will lock 3 seconds after you step on the brake).

There's no door trigger input on the 160XV; it's just a remote start/keyless entry that for some reason includes an alarm/security feature.

bullpar 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, Ive checked all my wires and they are good. I am going to try the security programing next, well probubly in the morning its getting cold poutside. 
bullpar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I just switched the security settings to off and everything works perfect.  Thank you all for the help. I love this site.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

I know, the thing is that if the security system is in a armed state...shouldn't it trigger as soon as you open the door regardless if the RS is on or not? In other words...if DEI gives this programmable feature to honk the horn and flash the light (basic security) I would think it would trigger as soon as a door was opened (assuming it is connected) unless of course you press unlock first..which makes sense because you need to open the door before you get in, turn on the key, and step on the brake to shut it down.

Now assuming he is just testing the system wrong, and this feature is activated....why would it wait until the brake is pressed before triggering the system? It would make no sense from a security standpoint..basically someone could break in, take what they want, and leave with no notification. DEI is usually on top of there game in this respect so I am still at a loss. The doors locking after shutdown makes sense if the ignition control locks are programed..but not triggering the security, I would think like all other systems that if armed it would trigger at door opening as well as ignition. But i still don't get why the domelights are flickering..do you have any ideas on that?

Perhaps I don't fully understand the way the 160 works..I have never installed that particular stand alone RS unit...only the 771 and 790 as far as dei remote starts. But I assumed all the basic RS and security features would operate the same.

bullpar 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I tell ya If this was an airplane, I can fix any avionics issue there is., at least so far. but when it comes to cars I dont fully understand them. Now I was reading about a bitwriter for the 160. do any of you have any experiance with this?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic