icon

Alumapro Cap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diggler68 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
I have two of the 5 farad alumapro caps, but don't have the relay/solenoids for either. I've always installed them new with the relays/solenoids, but no-one has been able to tell me if it will be catastrophic without them. The purpose of the relay/solenoid is to discharge/charge at turn off and turn on. What happens if you leave them charged all the time?
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I dont understand why you would want to discharge them when you turn them off. it wold create a huge strain on your alt when you go to recharge them. That is, if your alt is large enough to actually fully charge the crap, er uh i mean cap
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
First suggestion...sell them
For the price of two 5 farad caps you could get a HO Alt
Also you never need a relay for a capacitor...once it is charged it will not pull any current or drain your battery.
Relay is really only needed when adding a second battery
djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
Caps are worthless sell the caps buy a HO alternator up grade your big 3 to atleast 4 guage wire. buy a couple kinetik batteries one for under the hood, one by the amps put a pac 200 amp batterie relay isolator on them and call it a day.. you will never have a problem again....
I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
djscustomz1 wrote:
Caps are worthless sell the caps buy a HO alternator up grade your big 3 to atleast 4 guage wire. buy a couple kinetik batteries one for under the hood, one by the amps put a pac 200 amp batterie relay isolator on them and call it a day.. you will never have a problem again....
Ahh yes...but if the batteries are the same and installed at the same time a relay is not needed
diggler68 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:
I dont understand why you would want to discharge them when you turn them off.
My thoughts too, I'm curious what makes Alumapro caps so special they have to be charged/discharged every time you turn them on and off. Does anybody know why they recommend that for thier caps? As for my charging system, the altenator is stock, 0g charge wire to Kinetic 2000 under the hood, 0g frame ground up front, 0g running to the back, 0g frame ground at the back. I don't have a big crazy sub setup, just a old Sony Mobile es amp to a 12 L5, the rest of my amps run my midbass/mid/tweets. I've always had good luck with the Alumapro caps I've installed, but never put one in without the reqired solenoid/relay. They are expensive, but they're good. I was given mine from customers who didn't want to spend the $45 to purchase missing parts for installation. Thanks everybody for your input.
djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
djscustomz1 wrote:
Ahh yes...but if the batteries are the same and installed at the same time a relay is not needed

heres the point... you use the relay to seperate your batteries so you can sit in a parking lot with your car off and listen to your system moderately and not worry about draining your main batterie.... great for people with tv's  so when waiting for the old lady to get off you can play some xbox in the parkinglot and not worry about your batterie dying and not being able to start your car..

I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic