icon

Fuse amp rating

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yungpadawan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

Okay. I've done my searching and I haven't been able to find a straight answer, or at least an answer that I under stand.  So here is the situation. I'm running three amps. Two Jensen KA2200 and one Fosgate Punch 800a2. (I know my equipment is old).  The Jensen's RMS is "I think" going to run at 50 watts. They are to power componet speakers (Infinity Reference 6010cs) The fuses on the amps are rated at 20A.  The Rockford Fosgate is going to be running at "I think" 200x2. The fuse in the Fosgate amp is rated at 60A.  Also the power wire will be 4 gauge and at the distribution block it will turn to 8 gauge.

Now what I would like to know is: 1) What amp should the inline fuse be? 2)What should the fuses in the distribution block be? 3) Is there a general rule to figuring it out? 4) If so, can you explain it? without too much technical lingo please.

TIA

djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  
if you are running 80 amps pretty much out of your 2 amps then run an 80a fuse in your power wire then run to the back and use a dist block in the back....
I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
yungpadawan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

I'm going to be running 50amps out of the two and about 400 amps out of the one. I know I need a distribution block. that was part of the question. 

How do you figure out the ampof the fuse to use in the inline fuse? and in the distribution block?

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
     A 100 amp fuse at the batt will be fine. You can use the same at the dist block. You don't really need a fuse at the dist block but It will not hurt to use them. The built in fuses in the amps are for there protection. The fuse at the batt is for you 4 awg power wire. That's so you don't burn your ride to the ground if you have a short. See you have a 20 amp fuse in each of your Jenson amps. If it was drawing 25amps the fuse would blow. Your RF has a 60 amp fuse if it were to draw 400 amps that fuse would blow. With the Jensons you are only drawing about 12 to 15 amps. The RF about 50 amps.    So 15 + 15 + 50 = 80 amps. That is if you have it cranked up too. At reg levels the draw will be less.
Big Dave
yungpadawan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

okay, I see how that works. Thanks for the help. I'll go out and get an 80 amp fuse than for the inline fuse, and the distribution block.

So pretty much the easiest way to figure out how to determin the inline fuse would be to add up the fuses in the amp and sub tract a few off that.

so in my case it's 20 + 20 + 60 = 100. I would assume to go down in size in a fuse for the inline. say an 80 amp.

Would my assumsion be correct?

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah.
Big Dave
yungpadawan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
thanks very much
yungpadawan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

O yea. To finish up on the questions. what fuses do I use at the distribution block?

I'm assuming that the fuses shouldn't be 80 amp. Should they reflect what the fuses are on the amps. One 60 amp and two 20 Amp. 

I'm also steping the wire gauge down from 4 to 8 at the distribution block.

Is this assumption right?

djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
you should be fine....I did not notice you said 2 amps for the jensen so I would go ahead and use 80a fuse at the inline but if it pops a couple of times bump up to the 100a
I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
yungpadawan 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
what about at the distribution block?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic